Chapter 29

**This is my fan-fiction story based on characters from the show Torchwood. I do not own the names of the characters, except a few, and I do not of course own the story of Torchwood. I just used the names and some of the storyline for my fan-fiction story. I hope you enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments.** 

About nine or ten hours later, the plane lands. I’m in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas. As soon as I am able to turn my mobile on, I call Jack. He doesn’t answer, so I text him instead. “Hey. I’ve landed in Texas, I’ll be on another plane that’ll take me to Oklahoma. I’ll stay safe. Talk to you later. I love you.” I blush thinking about the last words I typed in the text message. I feel like a giddy school girl. I laugh at myself. I can be such a dork sometimes. I get off the plane and into the airport. I walk around to find where I need to go to next. After walking around for ten minutes, I find my gate. Good. It doesn’t leave for another thirty minutes.

I walk over to one of the cafés and get something to eat. I haven’t had anything since before I got on the plane. The plane food didn’t look or smell all that great, so I passed on it when it was offered to me. I don’t get too much. I still have to get on another plane to Oklahoma City. I don’t want to take the chance of vomiting on the plane. Doesn’t sound all that great. I hate vomiting anyways.

Twenty minutes go by. I finish up my brunch and head towards the gate. They’re letting passengers aboard the plane now. I get on and find my seat. I still haven’t heard from Jack. Either he’s still angry with me or he’s really busy with work. I hope he’s busy and not mad. I use my mobile to check my e-mails. “No new messages.” Damn. I was hoping to have an e-mail from Em. I haven’t heard from her or Derek in some time now. I’ve never gone this long without talking to either one. What’s going on?

The steward makes an announcement that the plane is about to take off and that we need to turn off all of our electronic devices. A few minutes later, the plane takes off. I sigh. I’m on my way to Oklahoma. I’m scare and excited. I’m getting closer to family I thought I didn’t have. This is a new adventure for me. As I sit in my seat, I begin to wonder what Jack meant. I didn’t really think much of it. He said, “There’s a reason why you haven’t heard from them all these years!” What’s the reason?

I guess I’ll find out when I meet them or after I get to know them. Makes me worried now. Two or so hours, the plane lands. I’m in Oklahoma City. When we’re able to turn our devices back on, I check to see if Jack has called or responded to my message….Nothing. I text him, letting him know I’ve landed and I am in Oklahoma City. I get off the plane and go to get my duffle bag. It takes a while for me to get it. There are a lot of people waiting. This sucks.

After some time, I finally get my bag and leave the area. I walk around. I didn’t think to bring any money with me. Will my card work here? I walk up to a woman behind a counter. “Excuse me. I have a question.” The woman looks at me and smiles. “I can help. What’s your question?” I smile back. “I am from the U.K. and I didn’t think to bring any money with me. Will my bank card work at the ATM?” She’s still smiling. “Yes, but you could be charged fees. Since it’s a foreign card, your bank may also freeze some of your money. It’s best to call your bank and let them know you are in the U.S. and see about using the ATMs.”

Sigh. It’s like six in the morning here, which means it’s about noon there. If so, then I can call. “Thank you for your help.” She smiles at me again. “You’re welcome dear.” I walk away and find a quiet lounge so I can make a call to my bank. I am able to get someone on the line. I explain to the man at my bank that I had a family emergency and didn’t bring any money with me, I just used my card to purchase everything to get here. I need cash and was wanting to use the ATMs here. Thankfully they won’t freeze any of my money and I’ll be charged a small fee, not including the fee that the ATM could charge me.

I’m okay with that. I thank the man for all of his help. After a few more words were said, I hang up. YES! I can use my money. I go to an ATM and withdraw some money. I see that there’s a car rental place just a few feet away. Once I am done at the ATM, I walk over to the car rental. I enquire about how I could rent a car. I get lucky again. Since I’m not a U.S. citizen, I don’t have to be twenty-five to rent a car.

After filling out paperwork and giving them my bank card, I rent a 2010 Honda Civic. It’s blue and it’s really nice. The man hands me my card back and a map, then a different man walks me out to where the cars are. He shows me the car, hands me the keys, thanks me for my business and wishes me a good day. I unlock the car and load my bag up. I use the map to locate Norman. I study the map to make sure I have my route down in my head. Then I drive away.

I have a hard time driving. Not used to driving like this. It’s totally wrong and different here. After driving for twenty minutes, I arrive in Norman. I can see a hotel to my left while driving on the Interstate. I take the exit and follow the signs to the hotel. Once I am there, I go in and check into a room. After about ten minutes, I get checked in and go to my room. I get in the room and put my bag by the bed. I pull out my computer and connect to the wifi. I e-mail Zoey.

“Hey. I’m glad you e-mailed me. I know it’s short notice, but I was excited to find I still have family, so I took the first flight out. I’m at a hotel in Norman. Want to meet?” I push send and wait for a reply. Not five minutes later, I get one. It’s from Zoey. “OMG! Of course I would love to meet. What hotel are you at?” I feel excited and scare. I push reply. “I’m at Embassy Suites. I just checked in, so come on over. I’m in room 228.” I push send and wait.

Three minutes go by and I get another e-mail. “Great! I’ll be there in about ten-fifteen minutes. See you soon!” This is pretty exciting. I leave my computer on the table and move my duffle to the other side of the bed, so it isn’t seen. After I do that, I sit and wait. Might watch a little bit of t.v. before she gets here. Just before I turn the t.v. on, my mobile buzzes. It’s Jack. “Glad you made it safely. Let me know if you need anything and stay safe. Love you too.” Ah. I lay back on the bed and smile.

After some time, I hear a knock on the door. I sit upright quickly, my heart pounding. I get up and walk to the door. I open it and see a young woman standing in front of me. She’s about five foot six, medium length blonde hair, and blue eyes. She’s pretty. She’s holding a box. “Hello. I’m Zoey.” She holds her hand out. I take her hand in mine and shake it. “Hi. I’m Charlie.” We smile at each other. I move aside and let her in. She walks over to the bed and stands there. “I brought some pictures for you to look at, if you like.”

I nod and take the box from her. I start to look through the pictures. She tells me about the pictures and the people in them. There were a few pictures of me and her together. We were always playing. I remember pieces of my childhood. We laugh and talk about the fun times we had up until my parents’ accident. She quickly changed the subject. She starts talking about her brothers and sister, her parents, and our grandparents. Our dad’s dad passed away a few years ago, grandmother is still alive. Zoey is the oldest of four, then it’s Zack, Stacey, and Mark.

We spend hours talking. It’s nearly six in the evening. “Do you want to join us for dinner?” I smile. “Sure.” She gives me a big smile and says, “Yes. That way you can meet the rest of the family.” I nod. “Sounds good.” We get ready and head out. “I’m just going to follow you, that way you won’t have to get out later to bring me back.” She nods. “Okay. If you get lost, here is my number. You can call me and I’ll help ya out.” She hands me a piece of paper that has her number written down. We get in our cars and drive off.