Chapter 11

**This is my fan-fiction story based on characters from the show Torchwood. I do not own the names of the characters, except a few, and I do not of course own the story of Torchwood. I just used the names and some of the storyline for my fan-fiction story. I hope you enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments.** 

I woke up to my phone ringing. It was Em calling me. “Morning Love. Did you get your furniture in yesterday?” She asked before I could say anything. “Yes, and good morning to you too.” I yawned. “Yeah sorry. I was thinking we could go shopping or something fun today.” She sounded different than usual. I wonder if she found out about grandfather and is upset that I didn’t tell her or maybe she’s having a bad morning…not sure. “We can if you like. I just need to let you know who know what we are going to be doing first. Want to meet up somewhere?” I started to sit up. Was thinking about heading into the bathroom, but decided against it. Em finished the conversation quickly with, “Yea, sure. I’ll text you in a while.” And with that, hung up.

I headed downstairs to make breakfast when I heard someone at the door. Could it be Jack? He was supposed to call and let me know when he was headed this way. I go into the kitchen and grab a knife and walk over to the front door. The door opens….. It’s Jack. Oh thank goodness. “Why do you have a knife?” He held out his hand expecting me to hand it over. “Uh, I thought you were going to call to let me know you were heading this way. And do you really think I’m going to hand this over to you?” I said holding the knife up. “Yes.” He followed me into the kitchen.

“Em wants to go shopping. Are you alright with that?” I turned to look at Jack. “Yeah sure. I have some things to take care of anyway. I need to tell you about last night though.” He sat down at the kitchen table. I followed and sat down across from him. “One of the police officers followed us to the hub. We watched her for hours until she finally made a move and brought in pizza like she was the delivery person. It was funny. I told her about Torchwood, what we do and showed her around. After a while I took her to get something to eat and put retcon in her drink. She won’t remember anything. If she does, I’ll be impressed.”  He leaned back and relaxed a little. “Did you take her on the invisible lift?” I said. Jack cocked his head to the side a little.  “What?” I asked. He had this look on his face. I couldn’t tell what he was thinking.

“I did, but don’t be jealous. She won’t remember anything and we’re not hiring, so we don’t need her.” He paused then said, “I would still like for you to work with us. Could use your skills.” I laughed. “You have Tosh. You don’t need me.” I got up and made breakfast. “What happens if she does remember? Are you going to retcon her again or hire her?” I headed back to my chair and sat down. “I don’t think Gwen will remember anything and if she does, then I don’t know yet.” He said as he watched me eat. Her name is Gwen? Don’t really hear that name often.

After I finish my breakfast, I clean up and head back over to Jack. “Are you going with us or do you have something more important to do?” He stood up, said, “I’ll be around, but I still have other things to do.” Then he walked into the living room. I headed upstairs to get ready for my shopping date with Em. I was still in the shower when I saw a hand holding my phone. It was Jack’s hand. “It’s for you. She doesn’t sound too happy.” He said. She? Oh. He must be talking about Em. “Hello?” I’m glad I have a lifeproof case for my phone. If not, it would get ruined while I was in the shower. “Hey Love. Something’s come up and I won’t be able to make it for our shopping date. Maybe another time?” I heard Em say. “Yea, sure. Is everything alright?” I asked her. “Yes. I just have some unfinished business to take care of. That’s all. No need to worry. I’ll call you or text you later. Bye.” She hung up before I could say anything else.

I handed my phone back to Jack and thanked him. “You’re welcome.” And he headed back out. I stayed in the shower for another ten minutes thinking about how odd Em sounded. She never hangs up on me, she never rushes our conversations, and what kind of “unfinished business” did she have? I’ve known her for a very long time. I know when something is wrong when it comes to her and Derek. What could it be? I finish my shower, get dressed and fix my hair. I think I’m going to spend the night at the hub tonight. Don’t really feel like being alone right now.

I pack my laptop bag into my duffle bag, put an extra pair of clothes and a few other items I think I’ll need. Once that’s done, I head downstairs and I am immediately greeted by Jack. “What’s with the duffle?” I shrugged my shoulders and said, “I’m going to stay the night at the hub. Don’t feel like being alone tonight.” He held out his hand and took the duffle bag from me. We walked to the door to leave, I set the alarm, and lock up. Jack heads over to my car. I unlocked it for him and he put the duffle in the trunk. “I’ll see you at the hub.” And with that, he got in the SUV and left.

I get in my car and head towards the hub. After ten minutes of driving, I arrive at the hub. I pull out my duffle and bring it in with me. Once inside, I am greeted by the team and we exchange our hellos. I walk over to Tosh. “Hey. Do you mind if I use one of the computers to do some research?” I pointed to one of the empty chairs not too far from where we were standing. “Sure. You can use that one over there.” She pointed to the same one I had pointed to. Awesome. I sit down and I do my hacking thing. The whole thing with Em has been bothering me. I hack into her phone. I didn’t find anything interesting or out of place.

I found the calls and texts between me and her and some between her and Derek. Nothing out of the ordinary. Hmm… Maybe I’ll try Derek’s phone. I hack his phone and I find the usual, until I came across a number that wasn’t in his contacts list. I looked the number up. It’s a burner phone and whoever it belongs to, didn’t register it under their name. It just says PLDNC. I get out my phone and make a note of the number, where I found it and the letters PLDNC. Maybe I can find something out about PLDNC. After searching multiple databases, I couldn’t find anything on PLDNC. I may have to let Jack know what I found and see if he’s able to help me.

I log out of everything, get up and head over to the couch. I’m going to look through the files I made copies of and learn more about the team. Before I can get the files out, Jack sits next to me. “Do you have your laptop?” I point to my duffle and said, “Yea. It’s in my bag.” He looks over to where I am pointing. “Alright. Let me see it and I can get you hooked up with our servers so you can use it anytime you need it…Even when you’re not here.” Awesome. I like the Torchwood server. I can do so much with it. I’m glad he trusts me enough to have access to it at all times. I lean over and unzip my bag, dig through it and pull out my laptop bag. I don’t want him to know about the files I made copies of, so I carefully pull my laptop out, zip up the bag and set it next to me. I open up my laptop and log in. “Here ya go.” I said as I handed him my laptop.

A few minutes later, Jack hands me back my computer and says, “You’re all set. You can use Torchwood servers anytime you need it.” Yay. “Thank you.” I said and gave him a quick hug. He stood up. “I have some things to take care of. You can stay here as long as you like, order from Jubilee’s Pizza or whatever. I’ll see you in a bit.” He walked away and out the door.