Chapter 1

**This is my fan-fiction story based on characters from the show Torchwood. I do not own the names of the characters, except a few, and I do not of course own or the story of Torchwood. I just used the names and some of the storyline for my fan-fiction story. I hope you enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments. Also, this is my very first story ever. I thought I'd give it a try.** 

I walked into the Torchwood Institute for the first time. I wasn't really that impressed. The entrance I walked through is part of an abandoned building. It's on the docks that is a part of Cardiff Bay. After walking through the door, we were greeted by a fairly handsome man. He smiled and introduced himself as Ianto Jones. Ianto pushed a button behind the counter and a secret door in the wall opened up. "Go on through. He is waiting." Ianto said.  I must say that I am not very happy right now. My grandfather would not tell me anything and I must say that I do not like being kept in the dark, especially when it comes to me and my safety.

My grandfather and I walked through the secret door and down some stairs. Then we came to this big round door. It was a big security door. Once that opened, we walked through and waited for it to close. We couldn't go any farther since there is a door that looks like a prison cell door. That's the only real way to describe the door. They must have tight security since the last two doors were locked and we had to wait for one to close before the other one opened.

Anyway, once we got through that door, we walked in and walked over and up some stairs to an office at the top. My grandfather knocked on the door and a handsome man waved. I followed my grandfather into the office. There, behind a desk stood a handsome man wearing a nice blue dress shirt, pants with suspenders, and brown boots. He has beautiful blue eyes, nicely fixed brown hair, and he's approximately six foot.... Maybe a little taller by an inch or two. My grandfather shook the handsome man's hand. "It's good seeing you again Jack and thanks for meeting with me." My grandfather and Jack shook hands and then they turned to me.

That's when my grandfather said, "Jack, this is my granddaughter Charlotte." I shook his hand and said, "Hello." As he shook my hand in return, he said, "Hello. I'm Captain Jack Harness." He gave me a smile. You know, the kind of smile a handsome guy gives to anyone he thinks is pretty or good looking. Oh, he is very handsome. His picture does not do him any justice. He is much better looking in person. I couldn't help but blush a little when he smiled at me while he shook my hand. "You can call me Charlie. I don't really like when people call me Charlotte." I put my hand back down to my side. "Charlotte is a pretty name, but since you prefer Charlie, I'll call you Charlie." Jack says to me. He's handsome when he winks too.

Oh dear. I hope he doesn't realize that it was me who hacked into his server. Maybe that's why we're here. Maybe they found out it was me. As I think about what I did, I hear my grandfather and Jack talking about me. My grandfather tells Jack that there have been some incidents where two guys have been trying to kidnap me. They clearly have no idea what they are doing since they haven't succeeded yet. Anyway, my grandfather tells Jack that he is the only person left he can trust. My first bodyguard I got too close to. We didn't have sex or anything, but it was definitely getting close to it. My grandfather had walked in on us and fired Jackson right then and there. As my grandfather tells Jack everything that has happened, he asks Jack if he would become my new bodyguard. "She won't have to live here. She currently lives with me, but wants her own flat and she has a job nearby at a nightclub. All I am asking is that you keep an eye on her and make sure no one can get to her." I hear my grandfather say. Jack looks like he is about to politely decline when my grandfather says "Please Jack. She's the only family I have left and there isn't anyone else I can trust."

Finally, after a few minutes of silence, Jack agrees to be my new bodyguard. My grandfather tells me that he is willing to let me finally get my own place since I will have a bodyguard he truly trusts. He also says that he knows Jack well enough to know that nothing will happen between Jack and me. I smile at my grandfather and tell him "Thank you." I hug my grandfather. My grandfather says to me, "You have to have Jack's and his team's phone numbers and they have to have all of your numbers as well as numbers for Derek and Emera. That way, if one needs to get in touch with the other, they can. Or if they need to, they can get ahold of Emera and her brother for whatever reason."

 I of course have to agree to it or I might be stuck living with my grandfather for the rest of his life. My grandfather shakes Jack's hand one more time and then says, "I'll let you swap numbers and get to know the team." Grandfather turns to me and says, "I'll meet you at the car in thirty minutes." Looks at Jack and says, "Good-by Jack and thank you for doing this for me." Jack nods and my grandfather starts to walk out of the office, but just before he's officially out of the office, he tells Jack to take me out through the invisible lift and chuckles saying that he thinks I would enjoy it since I seemed bored.

Ah, only my grandfather could spot me being bored a mile away. Hahaha. After my grandfather left through the way we came in, I asked Jack what my grandfather meant by invisible lift and he just chuckled, told me that I would find out soon. Jack and I swapped numbers and then he introduced me to the rest of the team. "You've already met Ianto Jones. He's our receptionist, our driver, and he cleans up after us." He points to the man I saw when we first came into Torchwood. Then he points to the other people in the room and says, "This is Dr. Owen Harper, Toshiko Sato, and Suzie Costello. Team, this is the granddaughter of my dearest friend Mr. Max Straily. We are now officially her bodyguards as of right now. She is in danger and we are going to do whatever it takes to make sure she is safe." They all say hello me to and Jack tells me to follow him. "I'm going to give you the grand tour of Torchwood." Honestly, it didn't sound all that great to me. I wasn't impressed at all. It's just a big storage place that's under Roald Dahl Plass.

It took us about twenty minutes to go through Torchwood. Then Jack says, "This is the fun part. You'll like this. Everyone likes the invisible lift." He smiles at me and tells me to hold on. "Hold on? Hold on to what? We're standing on a square platform thing that has no rails or anything and you want me to hold on? Seriously?" Jack laughed at me and held out his arm. I grabbed ahold of his arm right above his elbow. He opened up this weird strap thing that's on his wrist, pushed a button and the platform we are on starts to move. I freaked out, grabbed Jack's arm for dear life and moved as close to him as I could without knocking us both off of the platform.

He laughed and said, "It'll be alright. We like to take this way in." We were up really high and you could see all of Torchwood. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought. Then, out of nowhere a pterodactyl flew by us. It was an amazing thing to see. "Yes. The pterodactyl is real." Jack said to me. I didn't say anything, but I guess he knew what I was thinking by the look on my face. We get to the very top and Jack says, "They can't really see us you see. There is a perception filter right here on this spot." I said, "That's interesting. Why is it on just this spot?" Jack answers by saying "No one knows. It's just here, on this spot only." We start walking towards a parked car no too far from us.

Oh course I recognize the car. It's the one my grandfather and I came in. Once we get to the car, my grandfather laughed and said, "Did she freak out when you came up on the invisible lift?" Jack chuckled and said, "She didn't do too bad." And gave me a smirk. Jack shook my hand and said, "It was nice meeting you. I'll be seeing you tomorrow." Then, he turned to my grandfather and they shook hands. We got into the car and that is where my life started to change.