Chapter 2

**This is my fan-fiction story based on characters from the show Torchwood. I do not own the names of the characters, except a few, and I do not of course own the story of Torchwood. I just used the names and some of the storyline for my fan-fiction story. I hope you enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments. Also, this is my very first story ever. I thought I'd give it a try.** 

As my grandfather and I drove away from Torchwood, my grandfather told me that he would help me get my own place and since I was day away from turning nineteen, he wouldn’t have to sign the lease. He would let me use my own money that I have been saving up for the past year for my own place. Since it was still early evening, we decided we would look at a few places before it got too late. My grandfather likes to be on a strict schedule and wanted to be home at a certain time.

We were only able to look at three places before heading back home. Grandfather didn’t like any of them. He’s pretty picky about a lot of things. “We’ll keep looking the day after your birthday. I’ll let you spend the day with whoever you want.” Said my grandfather. I love spending time with him, especially on my birthdays. “I want to spend it with you, Em, and Derek. If you’re okay with that grandfather.” I said to him. He smiled at me and said, “That is absolutely fine with me.” He kissed me on the forehead and told the driver to stop by a pizza place. He always knows what I like.

The next day, I woke up to Em yelling, “Happy Birthday Love!!”  It startled me. I was not expecting to see Em and Derek until later in the day. I looked at my clock only to see that it was only just eight in the morning. “Em, you do realize that it is still kinda early in the morning for me?” She said, “Yes Love. I know you don’t get up out of bed until at least ten, but it’s your birthday and we have a lot to do today. So get up, get showered and dressed, and meet us down stairs. There’s a surprise for you.” While slapping my butt, she yelled, “Now get up you!” and walked out of my room, closing the door behind her.

I got showered, dressed, and fixed my hair. I headed down stairs to the kitchen. I knew that since it is my birthday, the staff would have my favorite breakfast already made and ready for me. I love scrambled eggs, hashbrown, bacon and toast with orange juice. As I sat down at the table where Em was waiting for me, I heard my grandfather talking to someone. At first I thought he was on the phone conducting business as usual, but I was wrong. I was so wrong.

When my grandfather walked into the kitchen, I saw none other than Captain Jack Harkness walking into our kitchen behind my grandfather. Oh my. I am so glad I showered and got dressed before coming down stairs. “Hello Charlie and Happy Birthday.” Said Jack as he smiled at me. “Thank you.” I felt a little nervous. I still wasn’t sure if my grandfather and Jack knew about me hacking their computers. It made me a bit nervous. “Relax Love. We have a lot of fun things to do today. And I’m pretty sure you won’t be blabbing to either of them anytime soon.” Em says to me. She could tell how I felt or what I was thinking most of the time.

“I don’t mean to sound rude or anything, but why are you here Jack?” I asked as he sat three seats away from me (next to my grandfather). “He’s here as your bodyguard… remember?” My grandfather asks me. “Well, I know he’s my bodyguard, but is he seriously going to follow us all day while we go shopping and stuff?” I asked. That was a dumb question. My grandfather gave me this look and I just knew what he was thinking. “You don’t have to answer that grandfather. I already know the answer.” I said as I turned to look at Em. She was staring at Jack. “Yum. He is definitely a hottie.” Whispered Em. I couldn’t hold back my smile when she said that.