Chapter 4

**This is my fan-fiction story based on characters from the show Torchwood. I do not own the names of the characters, except a few, and I do not of course own the story of Torchwood. I just used the names and some of the storyline for my fan-fiction story. I hope you enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments. Also, this is my very first story ever. I thought I'd give it a try.** 

“So what was all that about?” I asked. He gave me a strange look and then said, “A few weeks ago, someone hacked into Torchwood’s servers. I have Tosh trying to find out who it was and there location.” I chuckled and said, “I didn’t realize someone could hack into such a secure server. She… or he must be a genius or something. You’re not going to beat said person up or kill him/her are you?” He pulled over and looked me in the eyes and said, “Do you really think I’m that kind of person? To kill someone just for hacking into Torchwood’s secure server?” I was scared. Derek and I were the ones who hacked it. I definitely was NOT about to tell him that. “I have only known you for three days. I don’t know you well enough and I don’t know what you are capable of doing to someone who gets on your bad side. For Christ’s sake, you got me in trouble with my grandfather for being late this morning. No one told me I had to be at Torchwood at a certain time, so no, I am not entirely sure if you are that kind of person.” I said without blinking.

He had that “You hurt my feelings” look on his face. I feel kinda bad now, but I do have a point though. I have only known him for three days. I don’t know him well enough. It’s good to know that he has no intentions of killing us….well, one of us at least. He started driving again. Twenty minutes of silence go by when I yelled, “Stop!” He stopped the SUV suddenly, the car behind us nearly hit us. “What? What’s wrong? Why did you yell stop?” He asked in a panicked voice. The person in the car behind us kept honking. “Turn around now. I saw something and I want you to go back so I can see it.” I said. He did just that. After he turned us around and we headed back, I told him to turn and there it was. A very beautiful site indeed. A house for sale. It was very beautiful. It is two-story, Victorian style house. We pulled up into the driveway and got out. “Wish you wouldn’t scare me like that?” Jack said in a “not so happy” tone. Haha. I didn’t mean to scare him. I finally found a house that I like and wanted to look. “Sorry. It wasn’t my intention.” I said while walking over to him.

A fairly nice looking woman came out and greeted us, “Would the lovely couple like to take a look inside this wonderful home?” I laughed and Jack told her that we weren’t a couple, he was helping me find a place of my own. “Oh, I am sorry my dears. I didn’t mean any offense. Please, come take a look inside.” She said as she shook Jack’s hand and then mine. As we walked inside she started talking about the house. “This is a very nice Victorian style house. It was built five years ago. The owner of the house passed away in a tragic car accident and her adult children want to sell this lovely home. It has four bedrooms, three bathrooms. In the master bathroom, there is a Jacuzzi whirlpool bathtub.” She said as we walked through the house. Oh my. This house is better than my car!! Better not say that in front of my grandfather.

We toured the rest of the house. It is very wonderful. “I would like it. How much is it?” I said once we were done touring the house. Jack looked at me and asked, “Are you sure this is the one?” I looked him in the eyes without blinking and said, “Yes. I am more than a billion percent sure this is the one.” The estate agent was looking at us both. “Okay, make sure you let your grandfather know. I’m sure he wants all of the details.” Jack said as he looks towards the estate agent.

The estate agent handed me a pamphlet with all of the information about the house. It had her card stapled to it. The house is three hundred thousand pounds. I’m not surprised at all. It is a very marvelous house. “I will talk to my grandfather and get back to you as soon as possible. I really want this house.” I said to the estate agent before we headed back outside. “I hope you get it dear. This is a great home and it is good for raising a kid or two as well.” She said looking at Jack. We shake hands again and then we head back to the SUV. Once we drive away, I called my grandfather to tell him I found my dream home.

“Can we meet for lunch? I would like to see the pamphlet and talk to you about some things.” Said grandfather after I told him about the house. “Sure. I’d like that. Meet at our usual spot?” I asked. Grandfather said of course and then he told me he’d meet me there in fifteen minutes. We said our goodbyes and I hung up. I told Jack where we would be meeting grandfather and he said okay.

The drive took about ten minutes. It was almost time to meet up with grandfather. I sat down at our usual table. Jack sat at the next table. Guess he didn’t want to intrude or something. I was hungry, so I ordered my usual. Finally, after ten minutes of waiting, grandfather showed up. “So sorry my dear. I got caught up on something right before I left. I also want to apologize for how I was this early afternoon. I didn’t mean to be so hard on you. I just want to make sure you’re safe. ” He said as he sat down in front of me. “It’s okay. I understand. Oh, I was hungry, so I went ahead and ordered without you.” I said. Grandfather said it was alright and then ordered his usual. I showed him the pamphlet and we talked about the house. I gave great descriptions of the whole house. I couldn’t stop talking about it. I almost said it was better than my car. Good thing I didn’t actually say it out loud. After talking about the house, my grandfather looked over at Jack and asked, “What do you think of this house Jack?” Jack looked at me and then my grandfather and said, “It is a nice house. The estate agent said it’s a good house to raise a kid or two.” Jack chuckled at the look my grandfather had on his face. Guess talking about my future kids isn’t a good idea. Hahaha.

My grandfather sat in silence. I assume he was thinking about the house. I was so used to him and Jack being silent, I jumped when my grandfather finally spoke. “You can have the house, but I don’t want you using most of your money that you just got to get this house. So, I will buy it for you as another birthday present.” I think my jaw dropped to the floor. What? I finally spoke up and said, “Grandfather, you don’t have to do that. I still work. I won’t be broke or anything.” He gave me that look… you know, the “I’m not going to argue with you, you’re gonna do as I say” look. “Oh fine. It can be another birthday present. BUT one day, you are going to have to stop spoiling me.” I said. Grandfather chuckled and said, “That day will be the day I die. I will spoil you until the day I die dear. I have that right.” He winked at me.

We finished our lunch. Grandfather wanted to go ahead and get the house for me before someone else got it. He and Jack walked off so they could talk. A few minutes later, grandfather walked over to me and told me to ride with Jack back over to the house, that he’d meet us there.  Ooohhhh!! I am super excited about this! We get to the house and the estate agent is still there. “Oh, I see that you are back.” She said to me as I walked up to her. “Yes. My grandfather is going to buy this house for me as a birthday present.” I said to her. She looked at me wide eyed and then she smiled. “I am glad to hear it.” Twenty minutes go by and my grandfather shows up with a few men… some in suits, some not.

“Good day sirs.” Said the estate agent as the men walked up to the house. They all said good day to her and to me and Jack as well. Grandfather introduced the men to us. There was Jerry, who is a banker and deals with mortgages/loans; Thom, who is a lawyer, and there was a house inspector, and some other guys. I wasn’t really paying that much attention. I was thinking about the house. My grandfather said something about not wanting to wait a while for the stuff to go through and that’s why he brought the certain men with him. He was going to make things go fast. Since everything looked good, we all went inside to discuss the house, how the process was going, and to speed things along. Luckily for me, the adult children of the previous owner didn’t mind the fast pace. They were all for it.

About two hours go by when finally everything gets finished. The estate agent walks over to me, hands me a set of keys and says, “Congratulations. You are now the owner of this beautiful home.” She shakes my hand and walks away. Yay!! I am now a proud new home owner. And it’s a fairly close distance to work too. Won’t have to drive that far to work. I walk over to my grandfather and said, “Thank you so much. Really. This, the car, and the money have been more than I deserve and I greatly appreciate it.” Grandfather smiled at me and said, “You’re welcome my dear. Jack will take you to the hardware store to get new locks and I will call and have a security system installed today.” Yay!! So happy to be a new home owner. Not really all that thrilled that I have to give an extra set of keys to Jack and now that there will be a security system, he has to have to passcode for that too.