chapter two

. ˚◞♡ ⃗ 🕊*ೃ༄

 ˚◞♡   ⃗ 🕊*ೃ༄

 ˚◞♡   ⃗ 🕊*ೃ༄━━━━┅━━━CHAPTER TWOThe Volunteer ━━━━┅━━━

. ˚◞♡ ⃗ 🕊*ೃ༄
━━━━┅━━━
CHAPTER TWO
The Volunteer
━━━━┅━━━

KANG Y/N

As soon as I had made sure that Mark would really keep the other side of the bargain, I rushed home and prepared Jisung for the reaping.

After making sure that he at least was wearing matching socks, that his shirt wasn't too wrinkly and that his teeth were brushed, I decided that there was nothing more to do. There was no way that he would let me touch his 'cool hair'.

Together, we made our way to the Reaping and I was astounded because Jisung didn't sound or seem scared at all. Thinking back, I remembered how scared I had been when my first reaping year came around.

Jisung was different. He wasn't frightened or worried in the slightest.

Not for himself at least. This angel was only afraid for me and it made my heart hurt. We took care of each other like that.

He was all I needed in life.

That thought kept reverberating through my head as the guards dressed pristinely in white, took our blood.

Years ago, they had been called 'Peacekeepers' but no one in the districts referred to them like that anymore. We called them guards as they were the people guarding the gateway to our freedom, stopping us from reaching our desired destination.

I felt a prick in my finger, but the pain didn't last long. If anything, the feeling made snap out of my reverie.

Even though they had technology that could easily count the number of people here, they still did it. Apparently, they enjoyed giving us a bit of pain. They enjoyed drawing blood.

"Hey, Jisung look at me please," I whispered as he made to leave for the row of twelve-year-olds in the front.

I gripped his wrist and turned him around. He had tears in his eyes, but he wasn't afraid.