chapter thirty seven - unedited

chapter thirty-seven: the lack of sanity
UNEDITED—

KANG Y/N

The clearing wasn't empty as I had first thought, no, there was another tribute there.

The tribute in question was rather tall but still much too short to be one of the remaining male tributes...

Even though her hair concealed most of her face, I could make out the tribute's identity.

It was none other than Lisa, the tribute of district five who was one part of the so-called 'star crossed lovers' this year.

Her beautiful face was framed by her orange hair, her pale skin was marred by drops of blood, her outfit was ripped up and bloody and her facial expression was completely lifeless.

She was one of the tributes that at the start of the games I would have liked to be friends with but now it seemed like only a shell of her former being remained.

"Y/n...what? How are you here?" The question that slipped out of her chapped lips caught me off guard. It sounded almost like she regretted me being here.

"What about you?" I asked firmly, my hand resting on the gulf of my small dagger, just like her hand was firmly clasping a long sword with many spikes.

Her expression became completely emotionless again as she continued to stare at me. "I'm making sure that Jennie will survive." Was her short and blunt answer.

But it was all I needed to know what was going to happen. Lisa was going to try and kill me so that Jennie would have a higher chance of surviving.

They really were the lovers in this arena and I couldn't even blame her for what was about to happen.

The tears started flowing down her face and that told me that Lalisa was just like me, afraid to kill but even more afraid of her loved ones dying.

She would only kill for Jennie and in the end, I would only kill for Jisung.

"I dreaded running into you most! You're just like us." She cremates as she advanced on me, her blade still not raised.

I gulped thickly, staring at this broken human made me want to turn back time and heal whatever went wrong in her life. Basically, the games.

"Jihal betrayed us in the morning and ran off with Taeyong! Jennie was knocked unconscious but I think she had a head wound." Lisa cried out in despair, completely stopping in her tracks.

Maybe it was stupid of them to have trusted Jihal, someone obviously not ruled by emotions. Jihal was one of the tributes who fed off fear and the idea of winning.

Killing off her old allies to gain stronger ones was something I would imagine her doing.

"I'm afraid," I told her quietly, causing her to look up at me with her broken expression. "You deserve to win more than me, maybe more than even Jennie... bu-"

"You love her." I cut her off with a small smile, even in a situation like this, I could tell that there was such a strong connection between the two.

So much commitment and love that if I hadn't had someone waiting for me back home, I would have gladly let myself be killed to preserve their love. That's how precious it was.

"I'm sorry too, Y/n." And with that, Lisa's blade was raised up high, ready to strike me.

With precision and BamBam's teachings in my mind, I managed to dodge Lisa's first couple of blows without even raising my weapon.

Lisa was emotionally unstable and I knew exactly how to use that to my advantage but the question was if I actually wanted to.

While swinging her sword once again, Lisa decided to punch me in the stomach to finally pin me down.

I was very short and small, so it didn't take a lot of strength to push me to the ground.

But I was fast and as soon as I hit the ground, my right leg found hers and I made sure to kick her as strongly into her shin.

BamBam had shown me that with enough strength and a bit more f luck, my opponent's leg could be broken like that.

In Lisa's case, her leg wasn't exactly broken but she apparently had no more will to fight. Both physically and mentally.

Swinging at me for about thirty minutes must have been a bit exhausting, especially with her current state of emotional vulnerability.

The two of us were now sitting opposite from one another, panting and exhausted.

"You're not going to kill me?" Lisa asked with a furrowed brow, holding her injured leg and wincing every once in a while.

I shook my head. "I can't. You shouldn't try to kill me anyway, it's not like I would stand a chance even against a wounded Jennie." I tried to explain to her.

"I know. All you can do is a dodge." Lisa scoffed, shooting me a small smile that I returned.

"Y/n, do you think that Jennie will make it out?" Lisa asked hesitantly as she put her heavy sword onto her lap.

"I don't know, but something tells me that this year will be very confusing." I shrugged, not noticing Lisa's expression slowly darkening like the night sky.

"I don't want to anymore, no, I can't anymore. I've had enough." Lisa's tone was cold and defiant, something that scared me quite a lot.

The girl with the orange hair was trying to get up, something like determination swimming in her eyes.

"What are you doing? You're injured, sit down and I'll look at your leg. Sorry about that by the way." I rubbed my neck awkwardly, hoping that Lisa would stop whatever she was doing.

Part of me was enjoying myself for the first time, if you could call it that. But talking, smiling and even laughing with Lisa was something special.

"No, Y/n," Lisa said darkly and started limping towards the Forrest.

I quickly stood up, meaning to follow her and stop whatever madness she was planning.

"DO YOU HEAR ME?! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH! YOU MONSTERS WIN! LEAVE ME ALONE!" Lisa kept on screaming and crying, words clearly meant for the capital coming out of her mouth.

"Lisa shut up! You're going to get u-"

I was cut off by an arrow piercing Lisa through the heart.