chapter seventeen - unedited

chapter seventeen: the nightmares are real
UNEDITED—

KANG Y/N

In my dream I am alone. No one is here, because no one is alive.

In my dream, I survived the arena, but by doing so 23 other kids lost their lives.

One could say that I murdered those kids in my dream. I didn't want to win anymore, not for me anyway.

But then again, I really only ever wanted to win for Jisung, Mark, and Jisoo.

Is it worth it though? Condemning all those kids? But if I didn't win, someone else would and exactly the same thing would happen.

I couldn't help the tears that started running down my face.

Jungkook laying dead with his throat cut open and me standing in front of him.

My friend dying at hands and him whispering 'why' before smiling one last time.

The look in his eyes seemed so real.

The other tributes, Baekhyun, Lili, and Hana who had been nice to me, dead. All of them dead, leaving me alone.

Kim Seokjin from district one, the beauty that I couldn't help but draw, dead. Blood marring his ethereal beauty.

Min Yoongi, the tribute with that cold Expression dead, a last look of fear painted onto his normally emotionless face.

Jung Hoseok, his off-putting glare was replaced by a breathtaking smile, but there was no warmth in his eyes. He was in pain.

Park Jimin, the boy who had tried to teach me how to swim, drowned when he fell into the big river crossing through the arena. How ironic.

Kim Taehyung, the king of nasty glares had on a terrifying expression. His face was blank and completely void of emotion. Maybe his expression was the worst part of the dream.

Sweating, panting, and sobbing I awoke. Of course, it didn't take long for Jungkook to burst into the room.

"Y/n what happened?!" He burst out as soon as he saw me crying. He came closer and slowly drew me into his arms.

His scent was intoxicating and it brought me back into reality. Jungkook was real and he was not dead, he was here with me.

He was worried about me, one night before the arena.

I hugged him tightly, not willing to ever let go.

"I'm here for you... I promise you that nothing is ever going to happen to you." He whispered as he stroked my back.

"Stay with me. Please." I whispered before I closed my eyes.

I didn't try to sleep though, but Jungkook thought that I was asleep.

"You have no idea how many things you changed Y/n." He continued to whisper into my ear.

He thinks I'm asleep, should I tell him that I wasn't? Should I tell him that I probably wouldn't sleep at all tonight?

"They all know it, or at least suspect something as well. I'm not sure what they will do, but I hope that you're not hurt in the progress. It's funny, I don't even care about what they could do to me. You're the only thing that matters now."

Jungkook's words had a strong effect on me and I continued to think, even after he had left.

I knew that I wasn't going to sleep at all tonight, so why try?

Being careful not to be too loud, I raised myself from my position on the bed and got up.

The nightwear that I was wearing would do for a short walk around the training center. No one would be there at that time.

The way toward the elevator was hard since I tiptoed all the way. My toes would probably be slightly numb in the arena, but that wouldn't change anything anyway.

The elevator let out a quiet bing and I stepped out, checking my surroundings to see if anyone was there. Thankfully, no one was.

Once I made my way to the training center, I stood myself in front of a punching bag.

This was a good way to let out all of my frustrations.

I started punching repeatedly and as hard as I could, but I wasn't really experienced when it came to punching and hitting.

"You're doing it wrong Y/n." The cool voice made me turn around, ready to fight off someone.

Oh. Bambam, our hand to hand combat trainer.

"I'm- I know that I shouldn't, but-" I kept cutting myself off, nervous in his presence until I stopped talking completely.

"You're afraid and you want to make sure that you'll survive." He continued for me, his eyes never leaving mine.

I nodded, feeling somewhat ashamed, but I wasn't sure why.

"But you're not going to manage that if you keep hitting like that. You will get bruises on your arms and you won't gain anything." Bambam deadpanned.

I blushed deeply, but I didn't want him to know how much I was embarrassed.

He found me here, cheeks wet with tears, and trying to punch the punching bag with my puny hits.

His cold hands found my cheeks as soon as I put my head down in shame.

"As long as I'm here, you don't have to feel ashamed of anything. I'm going to help you okay?" He asked softly and I nodded.

He drew me in for a hug, his chin resting on my head.

"So the first thing you have to know is how to hit properly." He whispered and I nodded eagerly, even though I was a bit distracted.

"For someone like you, it's best if you don't use up too much strength for one hit. You're fast and small, target vulnerable places." He instructed as he pointed to certain spots on the punching bag.

"This is at the same height as the neck. Always target the neck first, then go to the side. Knock out their air." He pointed to different spots on different heights.

Bambam was helping me with my fighting, but that wasn't all he was doing.

My confidence was rising and my dead was gradually decreasing with each hit that I managed to land.

I felt ready and prepared.