chapter forty two - unedited

chapter forty-two: the final extraction pt. 1
UNEDITED—

KIM NAMJOON

The hovercrafts were ready, the extraction team was ready and I was pretty sure that I was too.

Well, you could never really be sure about that but that wasn't important at the moment.

This was probably the biggest moment of my life, the moment that would either prove my worth or my uselessness.

I was going to save them all, including Y/n, the weird girl that somehow was entangled in all of this.

"Get them all ready! Make sure Jimin knows about the water." I ordered into the mic, hoping Jin still had contact with Jimin.

"I can't. Jimin already left to find her and we can't fight Taeyong, those fucking creatures, and find Jimin all at once!" Jin was panicking because of fear. He was probably afraid for Jimin and Y/n who had the highest chance of dying.

JB and Kai were next to me when we went up into the hovercraft, both of them with grim expressions on their faces.

Kai had been so angry when he found about Tzuyu but after the first shock, he had recovered from his temporary madness.

He was now willing to help us rescue all of the tributes again. I was sure that his weird 'friendship' with Y/n also played a part in his willingness.

Why did she have that power over everyone? What was so special about her?

JB's Hand on my shoulder felt cold and restricting, maybe because I knew exactly what he would tell me.

I was counting the seconds until he would ask me to come to my senses and to not let any 'feelings' blind me.

"You're not going to rescue Jimin and Y/n first, I hope you understand that," JB said in his commanding, yet respectful voice.

Only he could do that, give anyone a command yet at the same time make it sound like he wasn't ordering you around. Which in fact, he actually was.

JB was powerful and everyone, even me, respected him to a certain extent.

The people in district thirteen regularly told me to show him respect and at first, I couldn't comprehend why now I understood.

He had the power of words on his side, a way of manipulating everyone so that they agreed with his ideas and visions.

A truly dangerous yet useful gift.

"I won't. As long as you keep your deal." I had already long since given up on arguing with him, it was no use after all.

Sure, Kai would prefer to rescue Y/n and Jimin first because of his friendship with her and also because he believed Jimin to be the most human of us, but it didn't really matter because Kai didn't have the power.

He was replaceable, not someone anyone in district thirteen would listen to.

"Learn your place Namjoon-ssi, as soon as we get to home all of your power will be gone." JB's words were never teasing, mean or hateful, no, they were just truthful.

Because he was right, my power vanishes the moment I stepped into the district thirteen building.

No one would respect me, if anything they would treat me worse because of my family.

There was no point arguing with him about something both of us knew to be true.

So, I walked towards the first monitor on the hovercraft, swiftly swiping across it to gain access.

It recognized my touch immediately and showed me Jin Hyung and the rest of the buys.

Yoongi Hyung was lying on the ground, bleeding heavily while he desperately tried to stop the flow of the blood.

Hoseok whose wound seemed to have opened again was kneeling beside him, trying to bandage Yoongi with his shaky hands.

But it didn't look good, there was no doubt in my mind that Yoongi needed immediate medical attention.

Taehyung, Jungkook, and Jin were fighting with a heavily injured Taeyong, the latter grimacing in pain.

Tears were streaming down Taeyong's face as if he knew that he wasn't going to make it.

While Taeyong was an exceptional fighter, there was no way that he would be able to win against three tributes at the same time.

He was going to die.

And he knew it as well.

I could hear him screaming at Jin and the others, repeating over and over how he didn't want to die.

I slammed down my fist on the monitor, watching it glitch because of the force.

My emotions were all over the place. My heart was beating in guilt, watching Lee Taeyong fight bravely.

He had a sister whom he loved waiting for him back home and because of us, because of me, he wouldn't be able to see her ever again.

Hastily wiping a stray tear that was rolling down my cheek, I swiped across the screen again.

This time the monitor showed Jimin and Y/n running from two of those black panthers.

Y/n was also injured from Jihal's previous attack and it looked like Jimin was almost carrying her.

Sadly, it seemed like the mutations were slowly catching up to them.

Jin and the others were my first priority and I wouldn't be swayed, no matter how much I wanted to save them all.

There was a high possibility that both Y/n and Jimin would be picked up by a capital hovercraft before we could get to them.

And if not that, there was also the possibility of those mutations catching up to them and killing them.

Maybe the latter could be prevented if Jimin remembered what JB had told him when the mutations first appeared.

Their biggest fear was water, if only he could get to a source of water...

But we couldn't reach Jimin anymore, JB had turned off his mic, saying that everything was out of our control now.

He kept saying that all we could do was rescue them in an orderly fashion.

But I wanted them all to be safe. I wanted them all to see district thirteen together.

We worked for this.

I'm the coward behind the screen in the end.

"Don't worry Namjoon-ah, we'll reach Jin and the others in a few minutes. We'll get them all out in time." Kai said with a reassuring pat on my shoulder.

But he was wrong, we wouldn't get them all out.