chapter twenty - unedited

chapter twenty: the first day
UNEDITED—

KANG Y/N

There is a song that we sing in the early morning hours if someone who held a significant importance to us has passed away.

Once there was a time where the people of the orphanage told me to sing because one of my sisters was dying of starvation.

My little sister as they called her was just a baby and she had recently been brought into the orphanage. She died two days after her arrival and then we sang the entire day long.

I didn't understand then, I continued to sing the song because I liked the tune.

Maybe that was why a lot of people in district eleven were afraid of me. As a young girl I would walk around the district, singing the song of death.

"There he stands, the man of death. Are you ready to take your last breath?~" I sang quietly as I perched in my little hide out.

After running for quite a long while, I decided to build a shelter for the night.

There were these two trees that seemed to have been connected and I just added leaves and branches, creating a perfect little house for me. It was also quite handy, because you couldn't see it from the outside.

Sadly, I was freezing. My bones were literally moving because of how could it was and there was nothing I could do against it.

I huddled for warmth, singing to fight off the boredom and the wait. What was I waiting for?

Soon the capital would let the fallen appear in the sky and I just had to know if he was alive. Or if anyone peas alive.

Who were the ones that died today?

Stop thinking Y/n! Thinking never helps in situations like this these.

I sighed and pulled the blue pack towards, finally deciding to grow through mine and Hana's former stuff.

The blue pack was fairly big and packed to the brim with duck. They were rolled up in foil and all you had to do was bite off the meat that was hanging off the bones.

It looked like a lot, but I knew that it was good that wouldn't last for long.

There were also two apples and a bottle half filled with water. Matches!

There were matches and would you believe it: a torch!

I really did seem stupid now, sitting there and freezing without looking through the packs.

It was probably the cold, it made me want to lie down and never get up again. Never move again.

There was also a small black string, one couldn't really call it a rope since it was so thin.

I quickly arranged a pile in the corner of my make shift home were I gathered all my food. The ducks, the two apples and the bottle of water.

I then proceeded to look through Hana's stuff and I found that she definitely would have been better off then me.

Would have been.

Breadsticks and and different sardines rapped were all squashed into her bag. There was much of that, but no other types of food.

Also no water, I thought nervously.

I couldn't bring myself to take her knife, so I left it lit with her. Admittedly, not my smartest move.

My shaking hands arranged the food and I dejectedly looked into the bag again.

There was still something in it.

It turned out to be a handful of darts, but of course there was no dart gun. So it was basically useless.

"Ahhh!" I let out a frustrated yell, hitting my head repeatedly.

Why is it so cold? I can't think straight! Should I light a fire? Or maybe the torch instead? What if it brings tributes to my Hiding place?

It seemed like centuries later when the anthem finally started. It turned that the cold had somehow numbed my movements.

Anyway, I wasn't able to go outside of my hut to check out who the Fallen tributes were.

The best I could do was make a small hole into the one side of my little house and watch from there.

The typical capital anthem played and for some reason it made me really emotional. I felt like crying.

That feeling was increased when the first tribute that showed up in the sky, was none other than Lee Hana.

Her roundish cheeks were slightly red, her eyes sparkled, her looked soft and flawless,her skin was beautifully pale, her lips were painted red and most of all-she wasn't covered in blood.

I wanted to lie and say that this didn't make me happy, but it honestly did. Seeing the dead girl like this made happy.

Seeing her pretty and happy made it easier for me to believe that she wasn't really dead.

No, Lee Hana was just on a long trip and she would return to her district soon.

She would run into the open arms of her Jeno anytime soon.

The fallen tributes from eight, nine and ten also weren't really dead. They were just returning to there family.

And I wasn't in the arena, I was snuggled up in a warm blanket with my brother.

Mmh it's no longer cold...

I didn't feel cold anymore, it actually felt pretty cosy and warm.

Hana was safe and so were the tribute from the other districts.

Jisung was safe. Mark was safe. Jisoo was safe.

My eyes fluttered shut, but before they did I saw the walls of my home.

See, I wasn't in the arena. Everything was fine. It also wasn't cold at all.

"Y/n! Wake up!" A voice yelled and it was Jisung!

Ahh, I really am home.

"Jisung... Noona is tired now and has to sleep." I told my younger brother. I just wanted to close my eyes.

"Don't you dare close your eyes now, Y/n. I swear to god." The voice commanded.

"Mhm sure thing Jisung." I replied in a daze.

Someone took me into their arms and started rubbing up and down my arms.

I also heard the sound of a crackling fire and the softness of a blanket surrounding me.

After that, I completely blacked out.