chapter tweny five - unedited

chapter twenty-five: the smoke
UNEDITED—

KANG Y/N

It was in the middle of the night when Baekhyun woke me up, a scared expression etched onto his face.

The normally happy and cheerful male was gone, instead, the serious and even somewhat scary Baekhyun was here.

There was a fire near us and it seemed like we were about to be Roasted.

The fire looked completely normal, but it obviously wasn't.

It wouldn't have spread so quickly if it was. Thank god for Baekhyun's keen ears.

After the first pull from Baekhyun, we managed to gather our stuff and make a run for it.

That would have been it, but it seemed like the smoke from the huge fire wasn't done with us yet.

We coughed and spluttered as we ran, trying to get away from the poisonous fumes.

Baekhyun was doing much worse than me, he was much taller than me and therefore the smoke was worse for him.

His eyes were bloodshot and his face sweaty, it made me wonder how I looked.

"Y/N! Focus! Help me we need to find an opening." Baekhyun instructed as we tried to find an escape route.

There was nothing though. The Forrest fire was left far behind us, but the air was full of ending smoke.

It seemingly stretched as far as the eye could see and I didn't know what to do.

I started coughing violently, there was slime in my throat and it hurt.

Baekhyun had leaned against a tree in utter exhaustion. I forgot that he was also carrying most of our stuff.

How could I do this to him? He saved me. He could have let me die and now I'm doing nothing and the two of us are probably going to die.

Do Something!

With my eyes still stinging in pain, I tried to think of something to save us.

It was hard, Pain was always very distracting for me.

Baekhyun had raised his shirt to cover half of his face and I quickly followed his example.

Baekhyun's eyes fluttered shut and he curled up next to the tree, mumbling my name and telling me to find a way out of here.

It was clear that he wanted me to leave him since he would obviously not be able to stand up again.

But leave to where? Smoke was everywhere.

And I liked Baekhyun too much to just leave him alone. He had saved my life and now I had to save his.

My eyes brows furrowed in concentration and when I heard the distant sound of voices.

Someone was near us and it didn't sound like they were dying.

With my shaky limbs, I managed to haul Baekhyun to his feet and put his arms around my shoulder.

You can support him, you just have to reach those voices.

I didn't think of the fact that those voices might be tributes ready to kill us. It would make no difference anyway.

Dying at the hand of poisonous fumes or dying at the hand of a tribute.

At the moment, the latter seemed more appealing to me.

I wasn't sure if Baekhyun would agree later on though, but his state of confusion was preventing him from attempting to stop me.