chapter twenty two - unedited

chapter twenty-two: the alliance
UNEDITED—

BYUN BAEKHYUN

I wouldn't say that I was stupid. She was probably just an a class actress.

Maybe I was naive, I'd admit that, but stupid wouldn't be the word for it.

Jung Lili seemed like a sweet, flirty, and bubbly girl. A bit daft though, but ultimately not messed up.

"Does being pretty and cute count as a useful weapon in the arena?" She had said back then and of course, I believed her.

Because, well I didn't really have any skills when it came to weapons and fighting. But I probably had the best voice in the arena, but I couldn't really sing them to death.

Wait... could I?

Anyway, it turned out that her personality hid a monster.

As soon as the capital anthem played, the crazed girl started laughing about our friend's death.

Sure, Hana was a bit annoying, always talking about her boyfriend.

My boyfriend is so good at this... My boyfriend is so good at that...

One literally couldn't have a conversation with her, but Hana was alright. I thought that Lili would have been the most emotional about her death, but no, the girl started laughing like a crazy person.

I was starting to feel creeped out, but I didn't question her about her odd behavior.

I just gathered my stuff together, ready to make a run for it if she tried anything.

And try she did.

In the middle of the night, the cold was horrible. The only things keeping us alive were the fire and the sleeping bags.

I could make out the rustling of her blanket and the sound of her unsheathing her dagger.

There was no doubt, Lili was going to try and kill me.

So, I did what I did best, I ran. In one swift movement, I snatched up my things and made a run for it.

Without needing to look over my shoulder, I could see that Lili was chasing me. So, I ran faster and faster and I was sure that I was loud enough for the whole Arena to hear me.

If I ever made it home, I would probably brag about how I was able to run for three hours straight, but if I were, to be honest, then I would have to say that it was actually only one hour.

One very frustrating hour, mind you.

I wasn't very physical and I hated running, but I was sure that Lili wasn't off that much better. She may be good at pretending to be weak, but she definitely cannot fake her body size.

She was tiny and the huge backpack that she had snatched up at the cornucopia would slow her down a lot, I was sure of that much.

please don't let her be some kind of physical monster that can run really fast and really long.

My breathing was getting labored, so I decided to take a break. There was a smell in the air, but I couldn't really make out what it was.

Trying to make out from where the smell and the crackling sound was coming, I turned on the spot.

It was definitely coming from the north, from the way I was supposed to be heading.

thank god that you're lazy Baekhyun, I told myself over and over in my head.

Chanyeol, my best friend used to make fun of my laziness, but if he was watching, then he would probably take it all back.

He would always tell me that laziness is the mother of all sins and then I would reply that she was still a Mother and we should respect her nonetheless. Gosh, I thought that we were so funny back then.

Suddenly there was a hand on my mouth.

"You know, seeing you turn on the spot like a deranged duck almost changed my mind about keeping you alive." a voice grunted out and I could feel a knife at my throat.

I gulped, was this how I was going to die?

"Please..." I hoarsely whispered, clawing at the person's arm.

The person was not much taller than me and it was probably a male figure. The deep voice and muscles on his arm told me so.

"I am not going to kill you, because I need you. But let me tell you this Byun Baekhyun, if I find out that you didn't do as I told you to, well let's just say you'll be begging for me to kill you."

The person roughly released me and pushed me to the floor and I looked up. oh.

It was none other than the tribute from district two, Min Yoongi.

"What do I have to do?" I asked him warily, I wasn't sure what I would do if he asked me to kill someone.

"You will find out in a minute you impatient and good for nothing little shit. Come on now. Don't try to run, I saw your running speed. You should feel ashamed of yourself." Yoongi spat, a frown pulling at his features.

who pissed in his cheerios? Oh, we are in the arena. There are no cheerios. Rip.

The moody tribute led me to a clearing and in that clearing lay a very familiar girl, bundled up and sleeping soundly next to the crackling fire. Y/n.

"Y/n!" I whisper shouted, ready to run towards her and do what exactly? I wasn't sure, all I knew was that I wanted to help her.

She looked cold.

I never reached Y/n, Yoongi pushed me to the ground before I was anywhere near her.

"She almost died of Hypothermia before I found her." the career tribute said as he sat down on a log next to Y/n. He caressed her cheeks, no doubt warming her up.

"Uh... Wha-"

"It means she almost froze to death, you idiot."

"Oh... makes sense," I mumbled back, looking at the floor in embarrassment.

"Now listen to me and I will tell you what I want you to do."