chapter eighteen - unedited

chapter eighteen: the arena
UNEDITED—

KANG Y/N

Sixty seconds and then all hell would break loose. The game would officially start.

23 of us will die and one will make it out alive at the end of the game that was about to start.

Welcome to the 125th hunger games Y/n.

I searched my surroundings, trying to spot Jungkook. No, he was on the other side of the cornucopia.

We were standing in a field, it looked completely normal. Around us there were woods and I shivered as soon as I saw the wind rustle the leaves.

It was kinda cold. Actually, it was very cold.

40 seconds.

Okay, the cornucopia is right in front of you Y/n, all you have to do is fight through the long grass. And of course the other tributes.

On my side of the cornucopia I could make out Byun Baekhyun, Kim Jennie, Lee Taeyong, and Song Xiomi. The others were too far away for me to see.

Food was sprinkled around the cornucopia and I immediately zoned in on a small blue package. There was also a small knife next to it, a perfect fit for my small hands.

I'm going to manage this... I'll survive the day Jisung, I promise you that much.

Baekhyun was readying to his stance, but it looked like he was going to run into the woods. Good, I didn't want to see him die.

Jennie and Taeyong were obviously planning to reach the cornucopia and part of me hoped that they would survive. But that meant me dying, that meant Jungkook dying.

Song Xiomi's expression was terrifying, bloodthirsty, and full of pure hate. I shuddered looking into her ice-cold eyes. She was going to kill people and enjoy it.

I felt sick. I didn't want to do this, I was just fourteen.

You're the older sibling Y/n! You have to do this, for your younger brother... He would definitely try for you.

20 seconds

I looked at my surroundings again and I couldn't help but let out a tear. It silently slid down my cheeks.

The time before the arena was fun and I made friends. I, the unsocial girl made friends.

And now everything is about to be taken away from me.

Thank you Jungkook, Hana, Baekhyun, and Lili for being my friends.

10
9
8
7
6
5
4
3
2
1

The horn sounded and I sprinted towards the blue pack, ignoring all sounds around me.

Get the pack and get out of here!

The same goal repeated in my head and I willed myself to go faster.

I quickly snatched up the blue pack and the knife, turning around to see if anyone had followed me. No one had.

I could see Jungkook standing in the cornucopia and he- he was slitting open the throat of one tribute. Blood splattered everywhere and I could make out the wild look in his eyes.

He was a murderer now and maybe I would also be one shortly.

Wack!