chapter fourteen - unedited

chapter fourteen: the realization
UNEDITED—

I had spent the entire day with Tzu-yu Unnie and I was grateful for that.

I knew that Sehun was more than capable to be my coach, but I adored Tzu-yu, and Jungkook and Tzu-yu didn't seem to get along.

Tzu-yu had taught me how I would play my role in the upcoming interview. Innocent intimidation, slowly making the crowd fall in love with me.

It wasn't as hard as I imagined it would be, my image was the same from the parade.

"What angle is Jungkook going to play?" I asked her curiously, as I let my stylists put my hair into a stylish updo. Tzu-yu had insisted she stay while I was being styled, just so that she could make sure I was ready.

"Mhm. That punk? Well, Sehun said something about brooding mysterious. Maybe bloodthirsty?" Tzu-yu mused as she stabbed her salad with her fork, probably imagining that it was Jungkook.

I nodded and lifted my lips into a smile. I had to smile.

Jungkook why are you confusing me like this? Are you real? Is our friendship real? And if it is, will it survive the arena?

"Yah Kang Y/n! I don't want you caring for that boy. Concentrate on winning for Jisung," Tzu-yu reprimanded, and I quickly nodded.

Sehun probably had an inkling about what was going on at home, but Tzu-yu now knew everything. I had told her everything.

She looked into my eyes and nodded once she was rest assured that I would not be doing anything that could in-danger my chance of winning.

Our staring battle was interrupted by Kai walking through the door, a bright grin on his face.

"Hello there little fair... Ah Tzu-yu. Nice to see you." Kai became awkward when he greeted Tzu-yu.

I grinned and nodded at him since I was I instructed not to move too much.

Silently, I watched as Tzu-yu ignored Kai and got up to leave, shooting me an apologetic smile.

It seemed like Tzu-yu didn't get along with a lot of people, Kai being one of them.

"Aish... that brat," Kai muttered as Tzu-yu passed him without sparing him a single glance.

"Unnie doesn't seem to like you very much Oppa." I grinned at him since he had been trying to convince me to call him Oppa for a while.

"Yeah, Tzu-yu se-Wait! Did you just call me 'Oppa'?" His bright grin resurfaced and he let out a laugh at my teasing expression.

"I've got a special dress for you little fairy, I think it will do well with your angle," Kai explained as he took out a bag that contained my dress.

The dress was white and at first glance, it looked quite simple (for capital standards), but once you looked closer you could see just how amazing this dress really was.

"Kai Oppa I Don't know what to say. Thank you." I whispered as I stared at the stunning material in his hands.

The white dress had flowers embroidered into the material and every time the dress moved in any way, it seemed like the flowers were growing.

A twig of roses was gradually climbing up the bodice as Kai held it out to me, straightening the dress in the process.

"You're going to be the star today and it might help you, you know." Kai choked slightly and I could see that he was actually really sad about me going into the arena.

I also had started to feel attached to Kai, he seemed like that one boy that you had a crush on, but he only ever saw you as a little sister.

I could only hope that I wouldn't develop a crush on him, he was much too old for me anyway. He was also not being sent to his death.

I nodded at him and Kai turned around, facing the door whilst I slipped out of my robe and into the dress.

It was a bit hard since there was just so much material and I wasn't very tall. Also not very strong.

"You ready, little fairy?" Kai asked as he seemed to have regained his posture. I nodded even though he couldn't see me, maybe my voice had stopped working.

"I look very beautiful now..." I muttered as I stared at myself in the mirror, causing Kai to chuckle as he slowly turned around.

"Holy shit, little fairy. Maybe I did my job too well," Kai smirked as he looked at his masterpiece. The dress, not me, of course.

"Yah! This is still only possible because of me!" I mumbled playfully and punched his arm.

"Yeah, of course, Kai Oppa only enhanced your beauty. Now, get out there and find Jungkook-Ah." Kai instructed softly as he grasped my arm and lightly shoved me into the direction of the door.

"Could have just told me that you want me to leave." I stuck out my tongue as I left.

Kai made me feel human, he was like Jisung. Like a family, reminding me that there could be light in a dark cave.

The fear of Jungkook and the other five tributes made me forget to enjoy my last free moments and I only realized that now.

Of course, I should worry about the arena, but I shouldn't let myself be consumed by fear.

What will come will come and worrying about it would not change a thing.

Jungkook betraying me in the arena was a possibility.

Me dying in the first few days also was a possibility.

Jungkook dying in the arena was a possibility.

Jungkook dying for me also was a possibility, but it was rather unlikely.

Me dying for Jungkook, however, was not a possibility.

One of the six tributes, the favored tributes winning was a possibility.

One of the other tributes winning was a possibility.

But there was also the possibility of me winning. Of me returning home and me bearing the consequences of winning.