chapter thirty eight - unedited

chapter thirty-seven: the lack of reason
UNEDITED—

KANG Y/N

Lisa was choking on her own blood as I quickly sat down beside her to assess the damage that was done.

The arrow had pierced next to her heart in such a clean and perfect way that it almost seemed familiar.

Strangely enough, it almost looked like the shooter had not even intended to make a clean shot...almost as if the shooter had wanted Lisa's death to be prolonged.

Only one person in the arena was able to shoot with so much accuracy from such a distance.

Lee Taeyong.

"Hey...Y/n, can you make sure that Jennie..." Lisa trailed off mid-sentence, looking at me with so much pain and sadness.

I choked out a sob at not only this heartbreaking scene but also at the familiarity of it. Lee Hana had died in the way Lisa was going to die.

And they all happen to die in my arms.

Maybe my childhood nickname of being the angel of death was correct after all.

"Tell me, Lisa." I prompted her, leaving without one last request would be pitiful.

"What's the name of your stylist?" Lisa asked in a stuttering manner, her hands playing with the wound. I had already carefully extracted the arrow.

Usually, it was not recommended to pull out the arrow but this wound wasn't deep. The arrow was just causing her pain at this point.

She was going to die, either way, there was definitely damage to her organs.

But why did she want to know the name of my stylist? What did Kai have to do with anything?

"His name is Kai or well actually Jongin but why?" I asked, letting a tear roll down my cheek and drip onto her hair.

Lisa smiled slightly as if knowing Kai's name had finally made her happy. "Jennie thinks he's cute. Can you hook them up when you get out alive?" Lisa mumbled confusedly but I just did my best to nod.

She didn't know what she was saying anymore because there was no way that both me and Jennie would survive the arena.

But the way Lisa talked about Jennie made me think that Kai would have at least liked Jennie.

If she made it out then maybe the two of them would become a couple. Or maybe in another world, one without the brutal ways of the capital.

When the second arrow whizzed straight by my head and grazed my cheek, I barely had time to react.

Many things happened at the same time. Lisa's canon sounded loud and clear in the distance, a rough hand yanked me to my feet and I could make out Taeyong's figure fleeing from the scene.

It was purely out of instinct that I spun around, punched however was holding me, and then proceeded to tackle said person.

Part of me knew that I should have maybe looked at the 'attacker's' face before tackling him but my paranoid mind was too far gone to care.

It was none of than Jin and strangely enough, it made me embarrassed, frustrated, and mad to see him laughing at my attempt to straddling him.

That laugh was what made me hold him down tighter, even trying to hurt him with my tight grip.

"Easy there, Princess. I'm only here to help." He tried calming me but his somewhat smug smirk was doing the opposite.

My emotions were all over the place and this cocky, annoying, and good-looking guy wasn't helping the situation at all.

The hell he was trying to help, helping would have been saving Lisa!

"Calm down, Y/n. I led Taeyong here for a reason." And with that, Jin became the first person I actually wanted to murder in the arena.

"You what?! What the hell is wrong with you?!" I struggled to remain in control but it was no use.

He was much taller, stronger, and more experienced in combat. Jin easily flipped us around so that I was the one lying on the soft grass.

His face was dangerously close to mine as he continued to pin me down, a serious expression replacing his previous smirk.

"Namjoon was going to make you kill her, I think this was the better choice," Jin whispered so quietly that I doubted the cameras would be able to pick up on what he said.

"What are you even talking about?! Namjoon? Let me go yo-"

"I'm going to shut you up in my way if you don't stop talking immediately." He threatened in a deeper voice than that what I would have expected of him. For some reason, his threat took root and I was unnaturally silent.

"Listen closely and listen good. You're going to do exactly what I tell you to do, when I tell you to and how I tell you to do it. Do I make myself clear?" He asked me sternly and at that moment I could really tell that he was the oldest amongst the boys.

While it did seem like he rarely used his power of being the eldest, when he did, one could clearly make out the commanding tone. The tone of superiority and maybe even wisdom at certain times.

So, I just nodded, causing him to let out a small charming grin before tapping his ear twice.

It almost seemed like he was listening to someone talk...nodding and frowning.

It seemed like he was communicating with someone. Someone from the capital no doubt...

"Namjoon is going to get rid of Jihal and Jennie for now, but he needs a distraction and a reason not to air their death. Can you think of something, princess?" Jin asked quietly and it seemed like he really desperately needed an answer.

"Let me get up," I commanded and he quietly got off of me immediately.

"We go after Taeyong. He's the last one left for you guys..." I didn't want to add 'except me' but I hoped that he understood my meaning.

Jin nodded, grasping my hand in his tightly before the two of us started sprinting towards the Forrest.

Jin was probably getting input and information from Namjoon, the president's son whose involvement still wasn't clear to me.

Something was going on in this arena, something that definitely wasn't normal.

Still, it was better to keep your mouth shut at certain times and I was sure that this was a time like that.