chapter thirty six - unedited

chapter thirty-six: the sealing of one's fate
UNEDITED—

KANG Y/N

The stone was just regular except for the silver engraving that was clearly man-made.

Wait until they're asleep. Twenty steps straight ahead. A right turn. Another hundred steps. A left turn.

Do it, Jisung might suffer if you don't.

Everyone knew that messages like these were supposed to be impossible in the arena, meaning that some important official probably wrote this.

I gulped, watching how one by one every single one of my 'allies' fell asleep by the fire.

My eyes strayed to Jungkook more than just once because something was telling me that something had happened to him.

Maybe it was a change in his attitude but something had definitely happened and things were going to change.

Everything thing was going to change. My tears were threatening to come again but I didn't want to cry.

I was probably already known as the week girl who leeched off stronger tributes to stay alive, which was pretty accurate.

I was nothing special but they definitely were and they had taken me under their wing. Should I thank them or hate them for it?

Because as it turned out, their wing wasn't exactly the safest place because it too was dangerous and full of challenges.

Challenges that I was going to have to face one day, sooner or later. And it seemed like sooner rather than later.

Jimin was fast asleep as well and whenever I looked at him I couldn't shake off the ominous feeling I felt.

It was as if I could feel that something would happen not to me, but rather to Jimin. Something bad, maybe even terrible.

Then my eyes shifted to Hoseok and my cheeks tinted a bright red when I thought of him carrying me...him teasing me...and him staring at me and telling me not to stare at others the way I did.

He was almost too perfect to exist, but then again the arena seemed to be filled with only good-looking people.

All of which were sentenced to die or were already dead.

That thought made me think of all the people who had already left us, there were only eleven of us left.

Eleven tributes out of twenty-four remained and even that wouldn't last much longer.

So many had already departed and another ten tributes would die in the next few days.

There were the seven 'no-name' tributes that I knew little of and would probably never know. I was going to die in the arena anyway.

Lee Hana who died in the first few minutes and tried to kill me in the hopes of getting back home. My instincts told me that despite her attempt to kill me, she was actually someone who would have been by my side for a long time. She would have been a friend and part of me missed her already.

Song Xiomi, the slightly mean and well deadly career of whom I had seen little in these games. With little, I meant that I had actually only noticed her in the sky earlier today. I didn't even know how she died.

Byun baekhyun, my friend. He had apparently died and when he had appeared in the sky earlier today, I felt slightly relieved. My friend wouldn't have to experience the pain that was yet to come. No tears were flowing at the moment but it was obvious that they would eventually.

The two Yi twins with their brutal and even somewhat primitive ways who died at the hands of one of the three missing boys. Even though the two of them had done quite horrible things to me, I wasn't sure if I was really happy about their death. Death was never something that should please anyone.

Jung Lili, the Fake cute girl who turned out to be a murderous person with a blood lust. I couldn't even explain why her death made me so sad. It should have made me feel relieved but all it did was add to the already mounting pile of guilt and grief.

Most of the people in this place were bound to die, the same couldn't be said about the people outside of the arena on the other hand. They still had the chance of surviving.

But only if the capital didn't intervene in their life, meaning that no matter what happened to me today, I would have to go to that place.

Because Jisung would never be touched by anyone. That much was clear to me.

These games made me think about trust, love, and death quite a lot and in the end, they managed to help me confuse the lot quite a lot - my love for Jisung on the other hand was never foggy.

Through everything, it was all I had left. My little brother who was waiting back home, probably with Mark and Jisoo.

Not watching the games though, no, the recap and reassurance of my survival would be enough for them.

It would have been too much for them to actually watch the games.

So, with Jisung's cute little eye smile in my head, I made my way into the woods.

It was already very dark and scary, the feeling that I was being watched and possibly followed also didn't help with my fear.

At least there seemed to be something guiding me towards my destination, a path of sorts that was illuminated by the dim moonlight.

It reminded me of the late-night working hours we had on the fields in district eleven, just that this trip seemed to be somewhat final.

Something game-changing would happen today and I knew that for sure. Maybe it was because I had always had good instincts but when I predicted something or had a feeling, I was usually right.

The Forrest was getting lighter, the previous thickness was also reducing.

If my sense of direction was not completely wrong then I was actually nearing the cornucopia. The place where it all started.