chapter thirteen

Kai-

"Three months in jail. You got lucky, that neither of you two ended up dead." The judge says.

I look over at Amber, who is crying in the stands. Then at Jeremiah. We both had bruises everywhere. Cuts, he had a broken arm, I hand a broke ankle. My lawyer speaks up.

"Judge, Jeremiah threatened to kill Kai and Amber." The judge sighs.

"Three months. That's for now. Community work." She says this, and it gives me one more ounce of hope.

They let me kiss Amber before I get put in handcuffs. "My due date is three months from now." She reminds me.

I kissed her forehead. "It'll be okay, we will get through this." I say.

"That new big four bedroom house we just bought, I have to live in all alone." She tells me, tears in her eyes.

I hug her. I squeeze her. I couldn't let go. But the police forced me too.

Every Saturday Amber would come see me. Each week her bump would get bigger, the more I would miss her. They would only let us hold hands. That's it. I wanted to kiss her so badly. I saw Jeremiah around every once in a while but they kept us apart, because us fighting was what put us in.

"Hey," I say after two months of being in this coop.

"Hi, babe." She says back. She has a huge belly now, being that she is only a month away from giving birth.

"One month." I say, just so she wouldn't think I forgot.

"One month." She says back. She seemed sad.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing, I- I just feel really alone. No one to talk to." She admits.

"Drive down to Carol, she would love to see you." I recommend.

"Yah, but then I'd have to explain to her why you're in jail, and I don't feel like doing that." She says. I frown. She needs me right now. Bad.

The next week, I try to grab her hand. She backs away. "Doctor says I shouldn't be on my feet anymore, so I can't come these next Saturdays." She says.

"What?" I ask, shocked that she doesn't want to come anymore.

She wasn't acting like her self. Like she was scared of me. Or scared of everything around her.

Is she scared of me?