chapter sixty-three

Kennedy-

I hold my half brother in my arms. Amber is talking to Zoe about some concert coming up, but all I can think about is how cute Vance is.

"What's his full name?" I ask.

"Vance Kai," She answers.

Vance Kai Corbett

I think of what my life would've been with a father, with no Paul but just Kai.

If my mom wasn't scared of tell him, I would have a dad. Kai walks in from work and smiles at me.

I want what he has. Kids, wife, nice house. I want that.

With Alex Gould.

But I'm still young, and there is so much I want to get done. Amber asked me one time if I could sing, and I didn't answer leaving it linger in my head.

I can sing, actually. I love it.

I want to be on a stage.

I want to be writing albums.

I want to be famous.

My tumor took away 10 years of life.

The 10 years it's been growing in my brain. Decisions I've made, that I now don't agree with, my tumor contradicted.

I didn't want to break up with Alex.

I didn't want to lose my crap on my mom for not telling Kai about me.

But now, I have to make all that up. I have to tell my mom I would've done the same thing.

But she can't believe me because I'm at his beautiful home right now while he's happy and married to his life long best friend.

My mom, Karissa Jones, is across town crying herself to sleep because she isn't with anyone and doesn't have a big family or a nice home.

"Amber?" I ask.

She looks up from helping Dawson with homework. "Yah sweetie?" She asks.

"I can sing, actually." The words feel smooth coming out of my mouth.