chapter sixty-four

Amber-

I button Zoe's cardigan up and curl her hair.

She's so beautiful, I can't believe how grown up she's gotten.

With every cell in my body, I'm glad she is Kai's daughter and not Jeremiah's.

I wonder how Jeremiah and Bridget's kids are. I hope they are with Bridget, and not Jeremiah. I mean, he did recently get out of prison.

"Mom, I can curl my own hair." She reminds.

"I know, but we haven't done this in a while." I tell her.

Dawson walks in. "Hey, this is a girls bathroom!" Zoe snaps.

"Zo, I'm just here for my comb and gel." He says.

Zoe smiles realizing she snapped for no reason. I think back to my crazy dream, where they were this age, and they got in an accident and died.

I leave the girls bathroom and head for the boys'. Breanna and Chelsea are getting ready. "Chels, that's too much makeup," I remind.

"Mom, I'm 12. I can wear mascara." She sassily responds.

"Not if your mother says otherwise." Kai butts in.

I smile as he starts to massage my shoulders. "Why are you in Dawson and Vance's bathroom?" Kai asks.

"We are giving Zo space." Breanna answers.

"Where is Andrea?" Kai asks.

"In the back probably playing basketball." Chelsea responds.

I give Kai a look to go out and get her inside. He walks away. I fix Vance's tie and then head downstairs.

"Kids! We need to leave!" I yell.

They all come trampling downstairs, and head out to the car. When we get there, Kennedy is there holding hands with Alex.

Zoe goes up and plays a beautiful piece on the piano. She really is amazing.

After that we head to Andrea's basketball game, that Dawson volunteers as a referee.

Andrea wins 26-15. After that, we drive in the rain to a grocery store. Every kid picks out their favorite tub of ice cream, and when we get home we throw a bunch of blankets on the couch and cuddle.

Vance picks out a family favorite, and we all laugh and dig into our treat. Kai and I sitting next to each other, his arm around.

Breanna looks down at her phone. "Who are you texting?" I ask.

"Oh, just Tommy." She replies.

Tommy is her life long best friend. "Hey, you could end up like mom and I if you stay close friends."

They all look over disgusted. I laugh, "That's right, Daws. You were an accident."

Dawson rolls his eyes. "Actually, I think you all were accidents!" Kai jokes again.

The kids start cracking up and dying laughing. Kai kisses my cheek.

I want this forever.