chapter twenty-seven

Amber-

6 months. Six months being pregnant with Jeremiah's child. Six long months of silence and sadness. I finally know how to block out everything and focus on my family.

Focus on Kai, Dawson and this baby. Focus on this baby even though I don't want it. Focus on the child I'm having with my rapist.

Focus on having the old love of my life's baby.

Old love of my life.

Kai is the love my life.

I love him so much.

We travel down to Darien and my mom's mansion. My whole family is there, Jason and Linda, their three kids, Marla and and Finn, their little boy. Katherine and Jake and their eight kids, and lastly Carol and Hunter with their triplets.

I finally feel like I fit in.

I never felt accepted in my family, and now that I'm married and with two kids, I belong. Kai is the most handsome out of all the in laws and Dawson is still the cutest boy out of all of them.

Not to be bias.

I hug my mom, thanking her for all that she's done for me and Dawson. Carol kisses my cheek and looks at me sympathetically. I knew I would get this look.

Jason, still rustled my forehead and gave me a bear hug. He's a good big brother. He didn't treat me differently, and I'm grateful for that.

Darien also kissed my cheek and shakes Kai's hand. He takes Dawson and plays peekaboo with him. Darien has always been good to me.

Kai squeezes my shoulder, reassuring me. After a delicious dinner, we play some good ole card games. Dawson was down for a nap, and Kai and I were going head to head at a game we always played when we were teenagers.

My mom and Darien on one team, Carol and Kai on another, Katherine and Jake on a team, Marla and Linda, then Jason and I. Jason and I always dominated at Nertz, but then Carol and Kai came in to play. We have won every other since.

Kai won a round.

"Okay, okay, you just wait." I say to him.

Everyone laughs.

"I don't even know why I'm here, I can never win at this!" Linda tells us.

"Come on Amber, I wanna see what you got." Carol boosts me up.

I pull Jason away from the table and we make a good game plan.

"Okay, ready, set, go!" Jason yells.

I play my last card, and win the whole game.

"I may be pregnant but I still got it in me!" I stand up with Jason and laugh.

Just laugh.

It felt good to laugh and smile and have fun.