chapter sixty

Kennedy-

Visiting my mom for the weekend, I have to buy groceries.

She drinks skim milk and eats tomatoes and mayo, so if I'm staying there I'm not eating that.

When I'm at the supermarket, I'm picking stuff that I will eat in four days.

"Excuse me, where are the sweet pickles?" I ask an employee.

"To your left down the aisle." He responds.

"Thanks?" He then walks away not wanting anything to do with me.

As I'm walking down the aisle, I see three little girls running around, all wearing the same dress but different variations.

I thought of Alex, who is a twin, and loved it. Now he wants a twin with me. I'm married, we had a beautiful wedding.

We've been together since sophomore year.

I love him.

I go to grab the pickles, and as I do, a mans hand goes underneath mine.

"Oh, sorry." I say.

"No no, it's fine. You have them." He offers.

I notice it's the last jar. As I get a look of his face I realize who he is. He realizes who I am.

"You look exactly like Karissa," he notices.

"That's my mother." I say.

His eyes widen as if he knows I exist. "Who are you?" I ask, realizing it sounded rude.

"Kai Corbett," He says.

He then introduces me to his beautiful wife, who is carrying one of the triplets.

"Oh, you're married, with kids." I say awkwardly.

"Yah," He says breaking the silence.

I smile and walk away. That was my father. And it did not go well.

He looks young, and happy. Like he didn't need me in his life.

I always thought Kai Corbett could've had a better life with me in it, but obviously not.

My mom made a good choice leaving him out of my life.

Although we never said anything, I knew he was my father and he knew I was his daughter.

I don't know how, though. Unless my mom told him without telling me.