chapter thirty-seven

New story out! Accidentally In Love!

Kai-

After a long day at work, I wrestle Zoe and Dawson on the couch. It's Dawson's 6th birthday.

I could not even believe it's been six years since Dawson was born. That day I got out of jail early.

After blowing out the candles, Dawson ran up and hugged me. This meant a lot, knowing that he cared for me. He then gave Amber a big kiss, making the grandparents and aunts and uncles awh in cuteness.

Later that night, after everyone had gone home, Amber and I cuddled in our warm bed.

"Do you want another baby?" Amber asks suddenly.

"I'd be fine with it, but if you're not," I don't finish my sentence.

"I'm fine with it, I just, I'm scared they aren't gonna find a heartbeat again. And I want a baby to be wanted. No more surprises." She explains.

"Well then let's try for a baby." I say.

She looks at me. "I mean, I'm not getting any younger," She says.

For two months we tried and tried, and kept getting negative tests. I was so excited for another baby, another child with Amber.

One night, I stayed up wondering a taunting question. I ask Amber.

"Do I need to adopt Zoe?" I ask.

"What? Um, I, I don't know. I have no idea." She answers.

"Maybe we can go in and see if there is something wrong. With you or me, with a new baby then see if I have to adopt Zoe." I bring up.

"I hope nothings wrong with me. I hope nothings wrong with you. And I hope you don't have to adopt Zoe. You're her father. Nothing can change that." Amber says matter of fact.

A week later, we ask our doctor. "Um, we would have to run a few tests, get a blood sample from both of you." She replies.

"But why?" I ask.

"Well, do you know for sure that Jeremiah is the father?" The doctor says.

Amber and I look at each other.

"What?" She asks, shocked.

"That might be a factor." The doctor replies.

"I'll take your blood sample, and little Zoe, I'm gonna have to prick your finger but it'll only hurt for a second. I promise." The doctor says, crouched down next to little Zoe.

"And, there is nothing wrong with you. Just keep trying, it'll happen." She comforts us.

Two weeks later, we get a letter in the mail. "Zoe can't be yours, can she?" Amber asks.

"I have no idea, babe." I reply. I really didn't know.

We open the letter. "I've done this before, reading to find out the father of my child." She says excitedly.

"Kai Benjamin Corbett." I say out loud.

"Kai Benjamin Corbett?! I'm the the father?" I quickly realize.

Amber has tears streaming down her face. "You're the father!" She says excitedly.

I pick her up and kiss her hysterically. I then grab Zoe and hold her tight in my arms.

I'm Zoe's father.

I'm a father to 2 beautiful children.