chapter forty-five

Amber-

Kai has been taken to the hospital near us, after his surgery, so he's still in his coma.

I walk down the halls and into his room, and see him, with bandages everywhere, a cast on his arm and leg, scratches and bruises.

I pull up a chair and grab his hand. I kiss him and move his hair out of his face. He's so handsome, even when he isn't awake.

Lily was on her way with our kids, so that they could see him for the first time just like me.

Tears streamed down my face as I thought of racing our six kids to the hospital just to watch him die.

"I had our son, babe. He's beautiful, looks just like Dawson. He doesn't have a name, Kai.  He needs one. But he needs you to be here. Oh please wake up." I say as tears stream down my face and onto our clasped hands.

The monitor started going super fast and everything started beeping. I hit the nurse 911 button and a ton of people start running in, and so I just step out of the room. There's no way in hell I'm watching my beloved husband die.

Lily walks up and I keep them out of the room, and I grab Dawson and squeeze him. Then Zoe. She smelt sweet. The I took Andrea Breanna and Chelsea all in my arms also.

"What's going on, mommy?" Breanna asks.

"Daddy was in an accident, sweetie. And he's not doing very well." I reply, crying.

Lily is better at holding back tears, I wish I could be as strong as she is now.

But it's Kai Benjamin Corbett.

The kid next door who everybody had a crush on at school, because he was nice, and not ugly. Then high school came around and he stood by me, even when all the girls were chasing him. Even some boys.

He stood by me. We never had a moment where our friendship was over. We dated other people, but they never worked out. Then we went to college together, partied every night, came home and slept in his parents garage.

Then we each bought our apartments, we went on dates every Saturday with a new person. Then we were 28 and I met Jeremiah, and I fell in love.

I was with him for a year when I had sex with Kai. Then I got pregnant the same day he proposed. Three months into my pregnancy, I realized Kai was my one true love and I need to tell Jeremiah the truth.

He kicked me out, Kai and I bought a house and then I gave birth we got married had Zoe, the surprise I was pregnant but it was a miscarriage, then we tried and tried again so we got pregnant with triplet girls.  Then I got pregnant with our son, and now Kai is in the hospital hanging on by a thread.

I love Kai.

With my whole heart.

I don't know what to do if he dies.

He can't die.

He dies I die.