chapter forty-seven

Hey guys!! It's Meredith here. This chapter is going to be very sad and heartbreaking. But something very exciting is that I hit ONE THOUSAND READS BEFORE MY GOAL!! Please leave feedback and don't forget to vote! Don't you worry this is not the end. I promise! Adding to that, of COURSE I will do an alternate ending sometime in the future. Thanks for sticking with me!

Amber-

Present time

Kai woke up, and smiled.

"Oh god thank goodness." I cry. My face bury in his chest.

"Hey babe," He says calmly, his voice raspy.

From the little stroller, our son is lying there awake. I pick him up.

"Meet your son!" I say happily.

Kai holds him and smiles big. I was scared he wasn't going to be able to meet him.

"His name?" Kai asks.

"I couldn't name him without you." I reply.

"Vance." Kai says.

"I love it," I smile. "Vance Kai." I finish.

"The little boy, Vance, is okay by the way. He made it out with a hurt arm and broken leg" I reassure Kai.

He kisses Vance's forehead then mine. "I was scared you were going to die," I admit.

"I'll never leave you, Amber Gena Corbett." He comforts me.

"And I'll never leave you,"

Lily walks in and hugs Kai. Breanna crawls up next to Kai and cuddles him. Zoe is in tears, and Chelsea and Andrea are both smiling happily.

"Come here, Zo." Kai says.

She goes up to his bed side and buried her face on his shoulder.

"I'm okay, Zoe." He comforts her.

"You can't die." She cries.

"Dawson, are you alright?" I ask him.

He was standing quietly at the back of the room, his head down.
"Come here, buddy." Kai says.

Dawson walks slowly towards him, picks up Breanna and gives Kai a huge hug.

"I love you dad." He says.

"I love you too, son."

"Guys, this is Vance. Your baby brother." I tell everyone.

"It's a baby doll!" Chelsea says excitedly.

"No, Chelsea, this is a real baby. He's a little version of you. Except a little boy. You have to be gentle. But I know you will be. You're a big sister now!" I explain.

"Oh! Cool!" Her cute pigtails wiggle.

2 weeks after Kai was able to come home, we all ate dinner at the table.

"What did you do in school, Dawson?" Kai asks.

"Umm, nothing much. Just US History." He explains.

"I learned how to divide!" Zoe says excitedly.

"I got computer checker as my um job in um preschool today." Andrea stumbles to say.

"What did you do at work today?" Breanna asks sufficiently.

"Uh, I, uh-" Kai puts his hand to his heart and breaths heavily.

"Kai?" I ask. I was breastfeeding Vance.

Kai falls to the ground and isn't talking.  I quickly take Vance away and hand him to Dawson.

I feel for a pulse and feel nothing.

My sweet husband.

"Zoe, grab my phone and dial 9-1-1." I say shakily.

I begin to do CPR, even though I don't even know how to do that.

Shortly after talking to a dispatcher, the ambulance shows up and carries him in. Lily came over to watch the kids, and as Kai and I drove off in the ambulance, I saw Dawson, holding Vance, tears in his eyes.

I turn to Kai.

"Kai Benjamin Corbett you cannot die!" I cry.