chapter fifty-three

Amber-

Kennedy set me up on all kinds of dates. Although every one I was not happy about, I wasn't terribly disappointed.

They were all very nice men. Handsome even. But they weren't Kai.

I tried everything to get myself to believe there was someone out there better than Kai, or at least equally good.

But no.

There isn't anyone as perfect as my late husband, the father of my six kids, my best friend, no one. Not possible.

The fact is, Kai Benjamin Corbett is only one guy. There isn't one exactly like him. So how am I supposed to find a different guy and fall in love with him? Maybe I'm gay. No, even though I think women are gorgeous, I have to remember I am now 45.

45 years old.

I started this whole life thing a bit late. The whole family, marriage, love. I've thought I was in love more than once.

That's what I was scared with Kai. Because it was fast.

But no.

Kai is amazing.

Kai was amazing.

You cannot replace Kai Corbett.

My kids are extremely well behaved.

Dawson has good and bad days. I mean, why wouldn't he be sad about his father's death? Even Zoe, my sweet girl, misses him terribly.

I mean, Andrea, Breanna, Chelsea and Vance all have barely ever met Kai. Vance was held once by him.

Once.

I gave birth to a baby while my husband was dying.

While my husband was risking his life for a young boy named Vance.

He didn't deserve to die.

But he is dead.

Kennedy is a sweet young girl, who has an amazing talent. She recently had a gorgeous beach wedding with her high school boyfriend, Alex.

She never wanted kids before, but after meeting her six half siblings, she wants big family more than ever before.

I love her like my own, I wish Kai could've met her.

She doesn't talk about her mom barely ever, I don't know what ever happened to Karissa. Nothing bad I hope.

Kennedy slipped me into a sexy dress, and put me into a pair of high heels. She curled my hair to the side and put a red lip on. Some earrings, a necklace and bracelet too.

I grab my hand bag and get into the taxi which drove me to the fancy dinner. A man who looked awfully familiar opened the door for me and walked me inside.

We sat down. "Mason?" I ask.

"Uh, yah, how'd ya know?" He asks. He then looks up.

"Amber Michaels?" He drops his fork.

I laugh. "You cheated on me." I reminisce.

"Yah, I'm so sorry about that." My ex Fiancée apologizes.

"It's alright, I think I was using you to show my family I could get married."

"Did you ever get married?" He asks.

"Yes, I did. I had six kids with him." I say.

"Wow, I got married too. We had a daughter. But then we got a divorce. I sometimes honk that was a mistake." He sighs. "To be honest, I always thought you and Kai Corbett would end up together."

I smile. "Me too."