An Effort and a Struggle

With anger fogging my head, I struggle in weaving through the intricate palace doors and walls to reach Prince Jungkook and the mystery girl.

I stand stealthily behind a pillar, most likely with a disgusting look on my face because when Prince Jungkook spots me in my hiding place, his eyes widen, and he begins shifting uncomfortably. I ignore him and try revealing the girl's identity from the edges of her face. But then something clicks in me.

Her hair.

It's too light and splotchy to be Nayun's. And I know mom and dad wouldn't let her dye it any shade of blonde, their beliefs being very conservative and vying for natural beauty.

I let out a breath and turn on my heel, heading back to Taehyung's room.

What I fail to notice are Prince Jungkook's sad eyes following my every step while he loses interest in his newest prey.

I twist my lips while accepting my stupidity. I saw Nayun working at home just before I left, why did I think she could've gotten here that quick?

I walk through the large halls, elegant designs engraved in the walls and dark velvet covering the floors. How do they clean that? I think, suddenly feeling the need to check my shoes and ensure that they're clean.

I come up to the door Taehyung pulled me into last week, and knock wearily. He opens immediately and smiles sweetly. I admire his features and take in his messy, dark locks, slightly covering his sparkling eyes. His clothing is less formal than usual, and he wears a simple white dress shirt with black dress pants.

I purse my lips, remembering that the man standing before me is royalty, and I squeak out, "Hello, Your Highness." His gaze is focused on me and he looks deeply into my eyes, making my cheeks heat up. I ignore it and follow his tall, slender body into his room.

"I thought you wouldn't come."

He smiles at me and gestures for me to sit on his bed, very differently from the last time we were here. I laugh softly. "Don't I have to?"

"No," he says while putting a respectable amount of distance between us.

I blush, again, at how considerate he's become or is at least trying to be. "You can leave my Harvest this very second," he continues. "It's your choice, Lady Sooyun."

I shake my head. "But I don't want to," I reply, which surprises us both.

He raises a brow and gives me his award-winning smile while brushing a lock of hair out of his eyes. "Oh? I thought you'd run away when I told you."

I smile and look into my lap. "I'd think so too..." But then a thought comes to mind, and I'm suddenly disgusted with myself. I'm acting like all the other love-struck girls who'd do anything to marry Taehyung and blush at his every word.

I hold in my timidness and try covering up my flushed face. "So, why did you call me here?"

He leans in with a hand on his cheek. "Haven't I taught you by now to never ask me questions?" he says in his deep, low voice.

I gulp. "Iㅡ"

He leans back and sighs. "Actually, I brought you here to g-give you something," he says, and I could've sworn I heard a stutter. He gets up and enters what I assume is the closet.

"Really?" My curiosity makes me shift around in the bed to get a better look at what he's bringing out. He doesn't respond but gingerly holds a bouquet of flowers and a small, golden box while turning to me.

My eyes widen. No one ever told me about this part of the Harvest. I get up as he approaches me with pink tinted cheeks, and I feel my heart jump out of my chest. He's so cute.

"It's a gift," he says while swallowing several times.

I take them into my arms and accidentally brush hands with him, which makes him blush harder. I try ignoring the visible heat rising to his cheeks and instead admire my gifts. "For me?" I say, mouth parted in awe of the gold lining around the flowers and the intricate designs on the box. "Thank you, Y-Your Highness," I mumble, and now it's my turn to blush.

This is so awkward.

I'd rather jump out that nice, big window and fall into a volcano than stay here another minute. "Umm," I try making eye contact with his beautiful, dark orbs.

"Do you like it?" he asks while coming closer to me. I nod quickly, imagining that this is isn't customary because I've never seen a prince blush or stutter until now.

"Yes, thank you so much." I bite my lip in anticipation, wanting to open that iridescent golden box so badly.

"There's a note in the jewelry case. Open it in private if you'd like." Any signs of nervousness have left him now, and he's back to his usual, teasing self. "Unless you'd like the world to see its contents."

"N-no, it's okay. I'll do it when I get home." I turn slightly, signaling that I want to leave.

"You're leaving me so soon?" he says with disappointment.

...

After another awkward, almost-conversation with Taehyung in which he tries coming up with something to talk about but fails miserably, I'm let out of his room.

I smile while carrying the bundle in my arms, thinking of what he could've written for only my eyes to see.

My moment alone with my presents is cut short when I notice the same head of hair that was with Jungkook earlier. My curiosity overcomes me, and I approach the girl.

She hears the footsteps and turns around, making her curly blonde hair twirl in the air.

I stop in my tracks and nearly drop the flowers. I meet her dark eyes and feel an unexpected stabbing pain in my chest. The same eyes that I once found comfort in and was betrayed by. The same eyes that loved me and judged me all at the same time.

Her bright red lips part in surprise, and her heels click once under her. She smiles widely and comes forward. With each step, the smell of perfume becomes stronger and stronger, nearly suffocating me when she stands a foot away from me.

Her voice comes out sweet and fake, just like they're all taught. The voice that I didn't need to hear again in my life. 

"Hello, Sooyun," she says.

My surprise has worn off, and I glare at her. "Lua," I growl.

Hearing her name come out of my mouth makes me shiver and want to run away, but I hold my ground and stand tall.

"It's been a while."

To be Continued...

(A/N What terrible memories are associated with this Lua, here?? 👀)