Past to Onward

"I...I don't even know," you say quietly, avoiding meeting your eyes to his.

He takes a step closer so his hand grazes against yours. "I know I have a tendency to go off on you, so before I do that, I'm giving you the chance to explain for yourself."

You look up at him, and he's unexpectedly smiling. "I don't know, Taehyung! That—that boy's my brother!"

His eyes widen. "Red-head?"

"Yes! I can't believe what's happening. He's never even been against the monarchy or even cared about Korea at all; he's spent half his life traveling to the West.

"I'm the one that's hated it." You freeze. "I-I mean..."

"You what?"

Your shoulders fall down. "I hated you, okay? I hated you, I hated Jungkook and your parents, I hated it all. It wasn't until I started living here that I even considered you a human being."

His brows are furrowed. "And what did I do to you?"

"Nothing!" you groan. "It was just all the rumors and stuff, you can't blame me for that. Besides, that's all over now so let's not fight again," you finish quickly.

Your timid eyes meet Taehyung's, and you only see hurt in his. "Then what were you doing with the rebels, Sooyun? Why are you changing the topic?"

"I-I'm not changing it." You sigh frustratedly. "Hoseok gave my maid a letter yesterday, and he said to meet him today, but when I came here, you saw that it was a lot more than just him... And he...asked me for help and I—I guess I agreed to it." You cringe and step back.

"Agreed to what?" his voice is sharp.

"Agreed to help him..."

He scoffs in shock and disgust. "Wow. So now you're allied with the people who want to kill me and my family?"

"No!" you defend. "..."

"Then what? Come on, I'm giving you a chance here. Who are they?"

His accusing tone hurts your chest, and you think of how stupid you were to agree to Hoseok's plan. Taehyung is right, isn't he?

Please, not again, You think. Can't I have a single day of peace with him?

You steady your voice and speak softly. "I'm not allied with them, I didn't do anything. He just told me to continue what I'm doing in the interviews right now."

"Hah," he laughs. "That caste bullshit? Sooyun, please, I know you're not this stupid. You can't honestly believe what you said there.

"You're working with rebels here, anti-monarchy, that means anti-me; do you understand that?"

"But I know Hoseok, he wouldn't ever hurt you or your parents or anyone!"

"Oh so that gun pointed at my head was innocent then?" He sighs and shifts his weight between his legs. In an instant, he's wrapping his fingers around your hand. "Tell me, Sooyun, was that really all he told you?"

You nod. "Y-Yes. But I don't know if I want to be a part of this at all now." You meet your glossy eyes to Taehyung's, and he manages the calmest look he can. "I'm sorry, Taehyung. I shouldn't have been here without telling you, and now I did something stupid again."

You rest your head against his chest.

"I'm sorry."

He places a hand on your back and plays with your hair. His form is defensive.