Persistence is Key

Taehyung puts a finger up, and every camera seemingly stops recording.

He turns to Yoongi. "You son of a bitch—"

From the corner of your eye, you see a new crowd of reporters come in through the entrance of the Women's Room. Taehyung stops in his tracks.

"I was promised a show, Taehyung," Yoongi states calmly. "It doesn't have to be with your cameras."

Before Taehyung can stop the crew, flashing red lights indicate the start of the new show, and Taehyung stays rooted in his place.

Your brow is furrowed as you stare at Taehyung.

He can't do anything because their lenses are all trained on us.

"Dear citizens of Korea," Yoongi starts. "I come here, on this foreign show, to make a request.

"I ask of you to let go of your admiration for this beautiful woman and allow her to claim her birthright once again, as the Princess of the Northern Kingdom." He stops.

You feel the ground shaking beneath your feet, and you instinctively grasp onto Taehyung's arm. He looks down at you with regret.

No... The Queen specifically told me not to believe anything he says. I have to wait for Taehyung.

Taehyung keeps on a poker face while listening to Yoongi's speech, meanwhile he signals behind his back and out of the cameras' sights, to end the broadcast.

If only this wasn't live... He thinks.

"Your Highness?" Yoongi calls out. "We've discussed this before, and you can confirm that this is true, correct?"

You focus on your own lap intently.

Of course not. He won't confirm it. It's not true.

"Sooyun belongs to the North, does she not?"

Taehyung swallows a lump in his throat. "Yes. She was born in the North."

Your chest constricts, and your breathing turns heavy.

No. I was born here, and I've lived here my whole life. They can't lie to me.

You stay motionless and speechless in your seat, and you refuse eye contact from anyone. No.

Why hasn't anyone ended this yet? Taehyung thinks with gritted teeth.

"And she is my fiancée?" Yoongi tempts.

"Right now, she is your fiancée."

Lies. All lies.

"I'm sorry," you cut in with sweet venom in your voice. "Shouldn't the host continue this?"

Yoongi turns to him smugly. "Yes, of course, my lady. Forgive me for forgetting my courtesy with excitement."

He leans back in his seat, waiting for the host to start. He clears his throat and looks down at his card. "Well, we've just had a big shock to the entire country regarding your origin, Miss Sooyun."

"It's a shock to me too," you mutter with a fake smile.

"This will surely affect your place in the Harvest with Prince Taehyung, not to mention the decision of picking who you want to—

"...and backlash...

"...fiancé..."

His voice slowly fades, and a painful ringing sounds in your ear. Your muscles all tense, and you suddenly find it difficult to keep your eyes open.