Memories of the Past

"What are you doing here, Lua?" I growl out, teeth gritted.

"Oh, me?" She flips her hair behind her shoulder. "I'm here for the Harvest, of course! What are you here for?

"I can't imagine you ever being a part of the Harvest!" she continues in her venomous, sweet voice.

"Actually, I am. Iㅡ"

"Really?! I thought you'd never enter after that little argument we had a few years ago." She gives an exaggerated gasp. "And I can't imagine Prince Taehyung falling for you," she says with not a hint of subtlety.

"Yeah, I thought so too." I smirk. "But here I am now, attending my fourth feast this week, all ready to live in the palace. And," I look wistfully at my bundle, "with these gifts Prince Taehyung gave me..." I look around, 'trying' to find someone to carry my presents for me.

Just as I expected, Lua's fake smile drops at my showing off, and she gives me a dirty look. "Hmph. Guess I haven't had time to watch television recently." She turns on her heel and stands beside the palace doors. "Never thought the reject would attract the Prince's attention."

I sigh and roll my eyes, taking several steps toward her slender body. "Never thought the slut would pass the virgin test."

She laughs obnoxiously. "Me? What makes you say that? I'm ready to dedicate my whole life to Prince Taehyung!"

My anger is fueled the more I speak to her. "Cut the crap, Lua. I saw you just flirting with Prince Jungkook, you can't do that while in the First Prince's Harvest."

"But I haven't had my first feast yet?" She feigns ignorance, and I resist the urge to snap her thin neck right here and now.

"You're entered," I mumble through my teeth. "I'm telling."

She turns at this, a smirk plastered on her face. "Who're going to tell? Your sugar daddy?" she says, clearly bothered by the gifts I received.

"You mean my future king?"

She scoffs. "Good job hiding the fact that you slept with him. I really expected more from you, Sooyun."

"What?"

"Please, you've always despised the damn monarchy, and you expect me to believe this 'my future king,' bullshit now? Without getting his dick?"

I gasp at her change of tone and bad language. "How dare you accuse me of that?" I snap. "I'm not a disgusting slut like you are, don't compare me to you and your ways!"

She hums and turns away. "Awfully defensive, aren't we?"

"For good reason. Leave Prince Taehyung's Harvest, Lua." I walk past her, seeing that my ride has already arrived.

"Who're you to tell me that?" she returns to her fake persona. "Do you own them?"

I glare at her. "You're breaking the rules. You might as well wait for Prince Jungkook's, since you already gave yourself up to him," I say sweetly.

"Don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong, Sooyun. Learn from your past mistakes," she adds in an attempt to break me, but I don't give in.

"Have fun, Lua." I run toward my car, the driver waiting patiently for me and most likely ready for the large check he'll receive today. "Don't contract any STDs while you're waiting!" I smile and wave at her, only to see a shocked look on her face.

...

"Lady Sooyun, I order you to leave the rest of your food," Taehyung says with a smile while pulling the plate away from me and calling a maid.

I blush. This time, I got to sit directly to the right of Taehyung, and I couldn't be more excited to see Lua to the far right of the table. I smile, thinking of how she's going to be eliminated today and how I'll never have to face her again.

Taehyung notices my smile and asks, "What's so funny?"

I shake my head. "Leaving my food has almost become like a tradition now, hasn't it?"

"Hmm," he agrees, looking back to his plate. "So has leaving your legs wide open while eating dinner."

I look down and flush, and all the other girls notice my face. I hear whispers go around the table but fail to make anything out, and I retort at Taehyung while subtly closing the gap between my legs. "I can't help it, it's in my nature."

He laughs softly, about to respond with more wit and teasing, but he notices the 30 eyes trained on him intently and ends his conversation with me. "Later," he whispers before holding short, boring talks with the others.

...

While all the girls line up to receive Taehyung's speech, Lua pulls me to her by the shoulder and smiles sweetly. "You weren't kidding when you said he likes you!" she says excitedly.

I'm taken aback by her almost-sincere sounding words, and I stutter. "Yeah?"

"Congratulations! I'll be rooting for you when you're up against Yoora, fighting for the crown one-on-one." I tilt my head questioningly, about to ask of this 'Yoora' when Taehyung starts his speech.

I hear the exact same words that I've grown used to at this point before Taehyung is in front of me, smiling and gesturing for me to come up. I smile and bow, ready to end the feast, but his next movements surprise me. He continues along the line and steps in front of Lua, giving her the same gesture. My eyes widen, and my jaw drops before I remember the hundred cameras focused on my face, and I compose myself.

How the hell? I think. I've been here for four weeks without a single other girl being picked and now he chooses Lua?!

When Taehyung returns to our spot, my smile has turned into a tight, thin-lipped one, and he notices that it's forced. But he continues with protocol and doesn't look at me again for the next ten minutes.

...

After the cameras have all turned off and the company has left, I expect Taehyung to lead me to his room and have a nice conversation with me, where I can whine about Lua and convince him to drop her.

But, alas; this isn't a fairytale, and Taehyung is still a fuck-Prince.

So when I see him completely ignore me and head upstairs with his new piece of meat, I scoff in disbelief. Left alone in the hall by myself, I call my driver early and leave with the unpleasant taste of bitterness and betrayal, and a slight pain in my chest.

Did those gifts he gave me have no meaning? Were those blushes and stutters choreographed?

To be Continued...

(A/N Y'all have NO idea how hard it was to use 'I' instead of 'you" here. I've gotten so used to that perspective that I can't even believe I ever did it this way! It's disgusting! 💀 Pardon me while I quickly write for Fallen to relax my tense finger muscles)