Heartless Heart

"Who let in those reporters yesterday?"

Taehyung's eyes widen. "You..."

"Who kept the broadcast going while you were telling the staff to end it?" He smirks, pure evil glaring in his eyes.

"W-Why...?" Taehyung asks with surprise. "That's even—" more cruel than usual.

"Because, my Taehyung, I have to lead you in the right direction when you're led astray," he says. "I have to help you become strong in your rule and purposeful in your actions.

"Ever since that girl came into your life, there's this wistful look in your eyes, too much optimism. I've never liked it, but admittedly, my plans to shame her into leaving have all failed thus far."

Your brain hurts. At this point, you're wide awake, and your eyes can't even stay closed.

How could he say all of this here, even if he does think I'm asleep?

"But..." Taehyung trails off, his tone now quiet in weakness. "It's my choice, this Harvest is for me and for my generation, why..."

He laughs. There's amusement in his voice. "Surely you didn't ever think it was truly your choice? If I don't like a woman, I will not allow her to follow in taking rule after me.

"Even if she is a woman, whom I certainly hope you don't plan on giving any power in the future."

"Of course I will," Taehyung responds, completely dumfounded and glancing at his mother cautiously.

"Yes, that's laughable indeed. Women and power..." he sighs. "You see, this is why I must make decisions for you, son. I'm doing it to protect you."

"Hyeon, he's just woken up, I think that's enough for right now," the Queen says calmly.

Huh. She's certainly used to being called useless and knowing about the past affairs of her husband...

"You're right. Forgive me for intruding so early in the morning, Taehyung," he says. "Come out in an hour for breakfast in the Women's Room."

"I'll join you in there," the Queen says. "I must first speak to the advisors and prime minister."

Prime minister?

"Yes. And Taehyung," he subtly twists in the doorway to meet the gaze of your opened eyes. He smirks. "Bring your bed warmer with you too."

He walks off.

That asshole. He knew I was awake this whole time.

Once he's out of sight, the Queen steps in further, and Taehyung lets her in.

You quirk a curious brow. Do they work separately from the King?

She spots you in bed and smiles. "How are you doing, Sooyun dear?"

You timidly sit up and unravel yourself from the blankets. "I'm fine, Your Majesty."

Taehyung suddenly lets out a deep breath and shakes his head. "Sooyun... can we just pretend that you never heard that conversation?"

You look down and nod quickly. "O-Okay."

"No," his mother starts. "Nothing can be solved if you don't communicate, Taehyung. I need to leave now to get ready, but I want you to tell her everything. I won't forgive you for any dishonesty."

Taehyung snorts, clearly more comfortable to be around his mother rather than his father. She ruffles his hair and smiles before taking her leave and closing the door behind her.