Distance

You and Taehyung both stayed true to your promises and remained seated on the floor until dawn.

While you truly could hide in the bathroom for several days, Taehyung had work.

With his princely duties in mind, he woke up at the crack of dawn and finally left your room. He was sore throughout, and fairly, he was angry.

"Ah," he groans while limping his way to his father's office.

"You're late." The King's voice is booming and startles the half-asleep Taehyung into a slight jump.

...

"Miss?"

You groan when you feel the sharp pain inching up your backside.

"Miss?"

"Yeah, yeah." You slowly unlock the door to let Hani in.

"Oh, my lady!" she screeches when her eyes land on your messed hair, sleepy form, and red eyes. "Are you sleeping in the bathroom?"

"Oh..." you mutter. "I'm sorry..."

You pout when you remember that you have another interview today.

And this just made Hani and the maids' job much, much harder.

...

"Stop squirming!" Hani orders while applying concealer to your under-eyes.

"Get that devil stick away from my eyes, and I'll stop!" You thrash against her touch until she puts her hands on her hips menacingly and nods at Ijoo and Yerim. "W-Whatㅡ"

The two girls hold down your slender body with incredible force, and you scream in dismay.

"Not you too, Ijoo!" You swallow thickly as the girls begin their makeover on you.

...

"Miss Sooyun?"

You blink rapidly, completely forgetting that you're in the middle of a live interview and trying your best to ward off the sleepiness taking over your muscles. "Yes?"

She laughs genuinely and shakes her head. "It seems you didn't get enough sleep last night, Miss. The question was: 'Has it been difficult to stay away from your family?'"

"Oh, yes, of course," you recover professionally. "I've lived with my parents and siblings my entire life, and now I don't have the constant company and attention." You laugh. "It's hard."

She hums in response. "Do you have siblings?"

"Yes. I have an older brother and a younger sister."

"How has it been for them? Has anyone from your family sent you letters or visited you yet?"

You exhale and smile sadly. "No..."

"Oh, that's alright. You've only stayed for a little longer than a week now, don't be too downcast," she comforts before clearing her throat and continuing. "Now, many people have been interested in your past love life. Have you ever had a boyfriend?"

"No," you answer honestly.

But she continues, which makes you think that this is something a lot of people are curious about. "Has a boy ever confessed to you? Or kissed you?"

You frown and shake your head. "No, I'm only 16."

"Huh," she acts. "Well, I'm sure many are disappointed, but innocence is always admired."

...

You sigh while plopping onto your bed with a soft thud.

The interview was over, your maids had undressed you and left to continue their work, and you were left alone with your thoughts.