Always You

"To me, you're everything.

To everyone and everything else, you're nothing."

The words ring through your ears, and your lips frown in confusion.

He just said that you meant everything to him... That's something to be happy about.

But then he degraded you to your social status and compared it to your worth as a human. Yes, you were technically a peasant, and it might not have offended you the way it did if the words weren't laced with venom and anger.

You hop off the bed and point to the door while staring at your feet. "Please leave," you say softly.

While you were confused with what to feel at the moment, Taehyung was confused as to whether he meant to hurt with his words or confess in another small way that he fancied you.

But if there was any human decency and empathy left in the man, he was holding back tears himself. It pained him in an inexplicable way when he saw your scared, weak form and red eyes, and the throbbing in his chest made it hard to keep up a strong image.

So he complies.

He swallows thickly and stands by the doorway with a grimace. "Just try and leave," he growls lowly, causing you to flinch back. "I dare you."

...

So you dare him.

You threaten his power, and after a long, comfortable nights' rest in the comfiest bed you've ever laid on, you prepare your leave.

You open up the suitcase you haven't touched in weeks, and you're met with the clothes that seem so shabby now that you've experienced a royal wardrobe.

With a deep sigh, you slip into black pants and a tight, blush-colored, sleeveless shirt. The material feels foreign against your skin, reminding you that you're not above anyone else in the kingdom, but an average commoner.

You smile.

You liked the sound of that.

A deep zipping sound comes when you pull the two tabs shut, and with light steps, you wait by the door for your maids to come.

You wanted out of this prison as fast as possible, but you had to give a final farewell to your friends; they made this burdening life significantly better, and they deserved a show of gratitude.

After a few minutes of quietness and a sudden click of the door, in walks Hani and Ijoo. The moment she notices your unusual clothing and suitcase in hand, Hani asks with a sinking feeling in her stomach, "What are you doing, Miss?"

You smile in hopes of easing the tension in their knitted eyebrows. "I'm..." There's no better way to put it. "I'm leaving."

Hani gasps while Ijoo cries out, and tears begin forming in her innocent eyes. "No, you can't leave, my lady!"

"I'm sorry..." you say softly, feeling ashamed to have sorrowed such kind, genuine girls. Now, you're grateful that Yerim isn't here to cry with them. "This is not right for me."

"Please, Miss!" Ijoo says through tears. "You treat us so well, I don't want another lady to serve!"

"Tell us whatever is troubling you so we can help you! I'll work twice as hard and accompany you for as long as I'm allowed!" Hani offers with glossy eyes.

You feel a stabbing pain in your chest, and you hold in the urge to cry yourself. "Hani, Ijoo, please don't cry for me," you console weakly. "I couldn't have asked for better friends than you three have been to me. This life," you gesture with your hands, "is just not right for me. I don't want to wear fancy dresses, have interviews every week, learn the etiquettes of a queen, and try marrying a man I don't feel a strong connection to...

"I don't want to become Queen."

"My lady!" Ijoo latches onto your arm. "You must think of us! You can't leave us!" Her tears soak the thin fabric of your shirt.

"Ijoo," Hani calls while pulling her back and forcing her to bow. "If it's what my lady wants, then we must respect her wishes. Miss..." she stands straight again and wipes at her face, "if you won't be moved, then I wish you a good life and success, and I give my utmost gratitude to you for all the happy memories you've given us in these short weeks. Thank you."

You can't help it; you let a stream of tears run down your cheeks, and you pull the two girls into a hug, holding onto them with all your might. "I love you," you blurt out, and they hug you back with an unprofessionalism they've never revealed before.

"I love you too," Ijoo mumbles against your shoulder. Hani repeats after her in a lower voice, shy to say those words out loud.

Minutes later, you pull back.

"Goodbye," you choke with a sad smile and a bow, which they return eagerly.

And you part ways with the maids forever.

...

After a long, draining walk to the front gates in which you pondered your decision to leave the people you could most closely classify as 'best friends,' you spot the doors that'll finally give you freedom.

Almost drooling for escape, you take large steps toward the bright, sunny exterior of the palace, making way to your destination.

Just before you can slip out of the opened gates, metal bars appear in front of you.

You stop, frowning when you realize that the metal bars are spears, and the two guards blocking your path are Namjoon and Jimin.

"Hey!" you whine, putting your hands on your waist to appear bigger and more intimidating. "I was walking here."

"I'm sorry, my lady," Namjoon says while pulling down his mask. "The First Prince ordered that we don't let you out of the palace."

You gasp. How dare he!

"Do I look like I care about what the First Prince says?" you mock with a raised brow.

"Lady Sooyun," Jimin calls out from your right. "We're not the ones you need to fight."

He laughs, and you realize that he's right. Why would you bother two innocent guards and make their lives more difficult when they're just following orders?

So, in a final attempt at escaping, you bend down and try slipping through their cross of metal spears from below. But they obviously notice and block you with dexterity.

Namjoon lets out a chuckle, and you follow back with a groan. "I thought you were my friends," you whine while turning on your heel.

You don't wait for their responses, not even bothering to take your suitcase with you, as you set out for Taehyung's room. While turned away, you don't notice their surprised looks and embarrassed glances at each other. "Did she just call us...friends?" Namjoon whispers inquisitively while looking you over from head to toe.

...

Ugh, You mentally groan while waiting in front of Taehyung's door. It had to have been a minute already, and the tapping sound produced from your own foot had begun to pierce your head.

You cross your arms when you finally hear the doorknob twist, and you prepare to fight Taehyung with all that's in you. When you lock eyes with him, you both freeze in your spots.

Two seconds. "Taehyung!" you shriek after snapping out of your daze. "Tell those goddamn guards to leave me alone!"

"What are you doing here?" he whispers urgently, looking behind himself with quick glances.

You blink, dumbfounded at how he completely ignored what you said. "I just said I'm leaving your stupid Harvest so let me go through those stupid doors!" You purse your lips and stand your ground when he steps forward and closes the door behind him.

In that second, you see another man seated in Taehyung's room, and his cold glare sends shivers up your spine, parting your lips with surprise and terror.

The King.

To be Continued...

(A/N Did y'all see the boys at the Grammys today? Taehyung looked like a whole five course meaL 😻🤤)