Lost My Way

"How could you leave her alone like this?!" your father screams into your ear, not quite as calm about the whole losing Nayun thing as your mother.

You look down and respond softly, hoping to cool him down with reason. "She didn't come with me, dad. I was already at the palace when she left."

He exhales deeply and fists his hands. "You're so irresponsible, Sooyun. We shouldn't be letting you go out to the palace alone," he grumbles condescendingly. "You'll lose yourself soon."

"Mm, your father is right," your mother chirps from the corner, now getting up to make supper. "You need to take care of your baby sister."

Your supposed patience is gone in an instant, and you scoff. "Me? I need to take care of her? She's not my daughter," you grit out. "She's not my responsibility."

Your parents glare at you, and you fight back, standing your ground and continuing your mockery. "Besides, if she's out at the palace, you two should be happy; she'll be sucking up to Prince Jungkook, and maybe he'll marry her soon. Since I wouldn't ever be able to grant your wish of becoming royalty."

You turn on your heel and run out the front door, closing it hastily behind you and hearing muffled words from the other side. Before they can come out and hit some decency into you, you scurry over to the lavish road leading to the palace.

...

The guards push open the double doors for you, and you're let into the large estate. You breathe in and sigh, not caring that Nayun will hate you if you catch her with Jungkook again.

So you begin your search and decide to walk through the left corridor first, which leads up to the gardenㅡwhere you found the two last time. Turning a corner, you're met with a familiar set of red lips and dark eyes.

She makes eye contact and smiles, to which you roll your eyes at and continue walking.

"Wait," she calls out and grabs your arm. "I forgot to thank you the other day."

"For what?" you murmur.

"For helping me spend time with Prince Taehyung, of course!" You narrow your eyes at her. "He decided to keep me because he thought we were friends! I would have no chance of being accepted otherwise."

You think for a second, then your jaw drops when you realize the scheme she planned.

"I mean, we are friends, but still," she continues. "Thank you, Sooyun."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" you blurt out.

Her eyes widen with exaggeration before her features are settled into a smirk, and her true persona makes an entrance.

"Might as well give up now, Sooyun." Her voice comes out deeper and laced with venom. "He's tired of you already, he'd rather spend his precious time with me."

You snort. "Precious time, huh? I suppose I could accuse you of the same thing you did to me?"

"Doesn't matter to me," she flips her hair while stepping gingerly up the stairs, taking care to her short skirt. "Because I get to be with my Prince. In fact, guess where I'm heading to now?"

"H-He called for you?" You gulp, not wanting to know the answer.

"Yep," she says with a smile. "Later, Sooyun." And she heads off, supposedly to Taheyung's room with her long nails grazing against the handrail.

You feel sick to your stomach but you shake your head and continue the search for Nayun.

...

After the unwanted meeting with Lua, you thoroughly searched all the usual, accessible places: the garden, Jungkook's room, behind a certain, special, pillar to the side of the palace where you had already found Jungkook standing twice now. But you don't find Nayun or Jungkook.

What if she's not in the palace? You think with a frown.

You shake your head, hoping that she wouldn't go anywhere else alone. You sigh and twist your neck to relieve the tension built up in your muscles. "Crap," you mutter while heading back to the palace entrance.

As you stand awkwardly to the side of the gates, you notice the same handsome knight from the other day.

You find yourself staring in awe at his slender, tall figure and small face. He notices. And he smiles at you warmly. "Are you Lady Sooyun?"

"Yeah," you shyly mumble, feeling a bit intimidated by his height.

"Ah, I'm Namjoon. I think I've seen you before," he chirps, not noticing your tense form at all. "You're about to be living in the palace, correct?"

You nod. "One more week," you grumble, almost wishing Taehyung would just kick you out so you could go back to living a normal life. Your curiosity comes out now. "Do knights live in the palace too? Like the maids?"

"No," he says with a cute laugh. "The maids need to live here to serve their shifts but we don't. We live in small rooms a few blocks away, so we're easy access but not that easy."

"Oh, is it like a dormitory?"

"Almost," he nods, getting ready to give me another explanation but he's interrupted by the call of another knight.

He jogs to the two of you, his curly blonde hair bouncing with his steps. "Namjoon, you're up at A next," the shorter man says. He notices your presence and smiles widely, nearly making his eyes disappear with cuteness.

You feel a blush coming and bow quickly. "S-See you later, I guess?"

The blonde-haired man slings his arm over Namjoon and pulls him toward the east wall, waving shortly at you.

Now that you're alone again, you're reminded of the burden of finding Nayun. You sigh and shake your leg impatiently. Where could she have gone?

You're left clueless and worried, stuck not knowing where to search or what to do.

To be Continued...

(A/N I'm so good at writing boring chapters where absolutely nothing happens. I'd call it a talent 💁‍♀️)