•thirty two•

It's a daunting word

Silence.

The complete absence of sound is sometimes calming and relaxing. It helps you sleep. It lets you think deeply in peace, your mind able to wander around into a different universe. It's an escape from the destructively loud world that eats at your ears everyday.

But at this moment silence couldn't be more deafening.

Vanessa sits across from you, elbows resting on her knees and her folded hands against her mouth as she thinks.

Lifeless, your body stays seated on your living room couch. Your eyes stay as still as a statue, unblinking. Your head's tilted down while your mind falls deep into an empty void.

"How many times have you taken the test?"

Finally your friend breaks the silence. It shatters to a million pieces, falling to the ground as you let out a breath and speak.

"Three times. All positive."

Her expression grows concerned "You've hiding this for three weeks?"

You nod, quietly.

Vanessa licks her lips. All her words that wanted to come out were in the form of questions.

"Who knows so far?"

"Only you and the doctor."

Your eyes stay focused on the floor. As far as you knew Vanessa was the only person you could trust who wouldn't go around telling everyone. She was the only person who would really try to help you.

"Can you tell your manager or the company?"

You gulp at her question. "No." you reply, lifting your gaze from the floor to look at her "They'll probably go ballistic. Their first worry will be my career, not me."

Her eyes sadden at your painfully true words.

"You can tell Jungkook though." she suggests.

Your face shows an unbelievable expression, marking her suggestion as ludicrous.

"No." you state bluntly.

"What do you mean 'no'?" she questions, giving you a mortified look "He's the father of your child, he deserves to know."

"How do I even know he's the father?!" you ask, already knowing the answer.

"Because he's the only person you've been fucking for the past year." she says, her eyes growing wider as you continue to deny everything.

But he was careful, he pulled out in time...didn't he?

That night rests as a haze in your memory. You weren't able to think straight the entire time. You definitely wouldn't have noticed.