{4} Awaken

Rhyme's POV

"Wake up, sunshine!"

I groaned as a cheerful, sing-songy voice rang through my ears. The person giggled, telling me to get up and get dressed. I shook my head and threw my pillow in the direction I thought they were, then growled as I realized my mistake. Now, I couldn't possibly sleep without having to grab it. And the person noticed that too.

"Yay! Get up, Rhyme. We've got a meeting today." Slowly, I fully awakened, and recognized the voice to be Mia, sounding extremely happy about something. I sat up and groggily looked at her.

"Mi... what time is it?"

"7:40, you couch potato. You're extremely lucky morning classes were canceled today for the meeting. Or else you'd be half an hour late."

Mia sounded almost proud of herself for saying that. I rolled my eyes. Mia was the only early bird of our group. And she never. Lets us. Forget it.

"Ugh... okay.... ah, did you say meeting?"

As the meaning of her words dawned on me, the cloudiness from my eyes disappeared, and I was wide awake. Crap, a meeting? Luke almost never held meetings, at least not ones that students were allowed to attend. Mia smirked.

"Yup, so you better hurry. Wanna impress Leila, don't you?"

I glared as frighteningly as I could at Mia. As my roommate, she knew everything about me; including the fact that I had a huge crush on our nineteen year old commander, Leila Ronalds.

"You do know that she could be considered a pedophile if she had a crush on you," Mia noted, grinning at me cheekily. I huffed. Mia liked teasing me more than anyone.

"Shut up, Mia. It's only three years' difference," I muttered, not wanting to argue with the blonde hothead early in the morning. I stomped out of the room, mumbling to myself as I stepped into the closet, ignoring the sounds of Mia's laughter from only ten feet away.

Quickly I picked out an outfit; a simple black and white striped hoodie with blue skinny jeans that complimented my curves and showed off my slenderness. I smiled in the mirror and grabbed the brush hanging from a peg next to it, then began running the bristles through my knotted black hair. After that, I returned the brush to its stand and slid across the wood flooring in my socks dramatically, popping out of the closet with a triumphant look on my face.

"Ta-da!" I announced, beaming as I did jazz hands. Mia rolled her eyes and muttered something under her breath about 'what a selfish pig' and 'not even a knife could pop that ego.'

I raised an eyebrow at Mia, who only returned an innocent smile. I chose to ignore it and grabbed her by the arm, marching us out of the room and down the hallway towards the conference room.

____________________

"Thank you for coming," Luke announced, looking around the room as he paused. I sighed, already extremely bored. This better be important, I thought, or I'm wasting a few hours of my life that I'll never get back.

Immediately Ryan Joshua raised his arm eagerly, waving it in the air. I flushed, aware that the telepathic fifteen year old had heard my thoughts, and sunk down in my seat, angrily thinking, Ryan the Teacher's Pet, just to get on his nerves.

"Yes, Ryan?" Luke asked, sighing. This happened every meeting. Someone would criticize a leader, a commander or Luke, and Ryan would tattletail. In this case, it was me.

"Rhyme is extremely bored. She thinks this isn't worth it," Ryan stated eagerly and much too loud. "Perhaps you could shed some light on her?"

Luke shook his head softly, clearly amused. For a second I thought I saw him roll his eyes. "Ryan, if they don't say it out loud, I don't know why it's such a big deal. Everybody -- except for you, it seems -- knows that if you have mean thoughts, keep them to yourself, and then it's okay. But you don't seem to respect that, and therefore you're in the fault more than Rhyme. As far as I can tell, criticism is not illegal."

Ryan blushed furiously; he obviously hadn't expected to be attacked. But at the same time, he didn't argue. Luke was the sort of person who only said things that made sense to him, and somehow, they always made sense to everyone else. It was what made him the perfect director.

"All right, now to the business we came here for. Now, as you all may know, we haven't had a new student in... nine months, correct? Yes, I believe Skylar Williams is currently our youngest member."

With that, everyone glanced at my friend, who only smiled smugly. As if punched, they all quickly looked away; everyone was afraid of the girl who could change their thoughts in a second. I almost laughed; if only they knew how unconfident she really was and saw how every member of our friend group had beaten Skylar in a fight before. She would never admit it, of course, but it was true.

"Today, I am glad to introduce our newest student, who arrived just a few hours ago. Everyone, this is Echo Mawlkin."

A/N: Oof, this one is short as well. Sorry!! Which OC is your favorite so far? Sky, Adasia, Mia, Jackson, Troye, or Rhyme??

~|Fun Fact: A few of the students at Sahar Academy are LGBTQ+./~