{10} Be Suspicious

Skylar's POV

I opened my eyes and groaned as a soft headache lingered in my brain. Turning uncomfortably, I realized I was laying in my bed. I frowned. 

I don't remember going to sleep. 

Turning again, I looked over to see that Adasia was sleeping in her bed, but not like how my Adasia slept. Instead of laying over the blankets with her arms hanging off the mattress as she drooled, Adasia was tucked neatly under the folded quilt with her eyes closed softly and her hair spread out neatly on her pillow like a halo. I raised my eyebrow. Adasia's sleeping on her back? She never sleeps on her back!

Worried something was wrong, I sat up quickly. Immediately I narrowed my eyes as I saw that Echo was sitting on the couch, biting her lip and obviously talking to someone on the phone. She didn't see that I'd woken up.

"Yeah, yeah, they're okay now... no, just sleeping, yes, of course. Okay. What? Oh."

Echo sighed and ran a hand through her brown locks. "Yep. Sounds good. Alright. Bye."

Echo jumped off the couch and began heading towards the small kitchen area of the dorm. 

"Hey!" I called out, crawling out of the bed. Echo froze and turned around, her face bright red.

"I'm so, so, so sorry, I thought you wouldn't mind if I got some food--" she started, but I held a hand up and silenced her.

"No, that's fine. You can eat whatever you want, whenever you want. I just wanted to know, what happened?"

Echo let out a sigh of hair. She fumbled with her fingers, and I could tell she was trying to make a hard decision. I raised an eyebrow. "You passed out," she finally squeaked, looking at me with wide, fearful eyes. I frowned. Why was she so scared of making me mad?

"Adasia too? How?"

Echo bit her lip. She's not telling me something.

"Y-you guys were showing me your powers... a-and you were trying to h-hypnotize her... she pulled up a shield and was blocking you, but I guess you were f-frustrated because you pushed past it and it knocked her to the floor. I guess doing that also made you lose a lot of e-energy so you just fell to the floor... I ran over but both of you were just out cold," Echo explained. 

I decided to ignore the voice in my head saying she's lying.

"Oh, okay. Yeah, that happens sometimes."

Echo sighed loudly. "Really? Good. I mean, u-um... not good."

I gave her a weird look. "How long have we been out?"

"Just a few hours... it's 12:30," she mumbled, her face flushing again.

"A few hours?? We're late to our fucking classes!" I growled. She coiled away, backing against the island slowly. I was surprised at the frightened look on her face.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you," I apologized, feeling slightly guilty for shocking her . Before she could answer, I turned to the other bed and woke Asia up, slapping her on the face. She groaned and her right eye opened slowly, allowing me to see her beautiful blue orbs. I inhaled quickly.

"What is it, Sky? What's wrong?" Adasia muttered, her voice cracking and hoarse from the accidental nap. 

"Passed out again. C'mon, we're late."

As if I pressed a trigger button, Adasia leaped out of the bed and was inside the closet in a split-second, shrieking loudly and cursing. "Fuck, Shimmer's going to be so pissed! This is the fourth time I've been more than an hour late!"

Echo cleared her throat behind me. I spun around and placed my slender hands on my hips. "Yes, what do you need?" I questioned, staring at her with a slightly cold look on my face.

"Um, who's Shimmer?" 

My face melted into a smile at her cluelessness. "Shimmer is one of the leaders. Her real name is Zaedah, but Carson gave her that nickname the day he arrived here, and it stuck. She's named for her.. um.. undying love for sparkles."

Echo laughed. "What, does she only write in glitter pens or something?"

I smirked. "Not really."

Echo's smile faded and was replaced with an uneasy look. "Uh, okay?"

I shook my head softly, the edges of my lips still raised. "You'll find out soon enough."

~|Fun Fact: Although Luke Myren, Leila Ronalds, Keith Lowers, and Skylar Williams all have very similar powers, they are still different. Luke is able to control the limbs and body of others, but is limited to that. Leila is able to convince others to do things they normally wouldn't do and think certain things, but is not able to make the human hurt themselves in any way. Keith is able to lie about anything he wants, which is helpful when dealing with strangers. Others who know him, however, can sometimes tell when he's lying. This is explained in the Fun Fact on Chapter 14. Skylar's power is a bit like Leila's, as if she is able to convince others to think or do what they normally wouldn't, but the effects don't last unless she purposely makes them forget. However, Skylar is still very limited.|~