{13} Learn

Rhyme's POV

"C'mon, Rhyme, you can hit harder than that!" Avery pushed, dancing around me on her twinkle toes. Zach had gone to the conference to make a decision about Echo, and so his officer Avery was in charge of our class.

I spun around just as Avery tried to send another flame at me. Instinctively I spread out my hands, pushing vines out of my fingertips with my mind. I was already feeling tired, but still I was very determined to finally beat the boastful officer. 

I smirked as the vines formed a shield around me just as the heat came close. But my victory didn't last long, as soon after my walls were set ablaze and I jumped away, shrieking as my vines coiled back. I glared into Avery's now neon pink eyes.

A rush of adrenaline hit me as hatred built up inside my body. I was tired of her stupid smile, her proud comments, the dumb insults. Almost immediately I watched as the little dark green line began at my shoulder and started spreading through my arm, before bursting out of my palms as tree branches. My vision enhanced, and I knew immediately that my eyes would be glowing darker than they ever had before. The wood pounced on Avery, wrapping like a rope around her torso and tying her hands and ankles together so she wouldn't be able to burn them. 

For a moment Avery struggled before shooting an icy glare at me. I came to my senses and released her, knowing I'd already won. As soon as I let go of the command over the branches, exhaustion hit me like a brick. I fell on my knees and began panting. Avery was only leaning against the wall, trying to catch her breath.

"Great... job..." she managed to mumble. I grinned. "Proud... of me... Ave?" I couldn't help but feel gleeful. I'd always wanted this. 

"You did... really good... next time, try to... sum up that amount of... energy again."

I nodded. As much as Avery always wanted to be on top, she still loved helping people to their full potential. Of course, that didn't stop her from pushing for champion.

"However... you still have a lot to learn," she stated, breathing slower and slower. I bit back an answer, trying not to point out that maybe she needed to learn more.

"That's called an adrenaline attack... although helpful, they don't show your power. If you want to be more powerful, all your attacks will have to be like that one."

I sighed. "Okay."

Understanding our lesson was done, I crossed the room and picked up my stuff: a backpack with water and food inside and a towel, which I quickly used to mop up my sweat before waving goodbye to the purple-haired brunette and leaving. 

A/N: I hope the next chapter is longer....

Comment and vote!!