{6} Accuse

Mia's POV

I was the first one over to the new girl, wrapping my arms around her as she seemed to stare forward from her position. Her eyes were fixed on nothing, and she didn't blink, but she would mumble and then scream out loud without her pupils ever moving. I bit my lip; my baby sister used to have panic attacks, but never this bad.

"Get over here and help!" I screamed over my shoulder, waving my arm. As if broken out of a trance, there was a loud squeak of chairs and scattering noises as everyone ran over. Skylar crouched next to me, her face pale and worrying. Luke began telling everyone who had powers that could help to come nearer, but if not to stay back.

"Can you use your music on her? Maybe something relaxing?" Skylar asked me, her eyes crazed. I nodded, but felt doubtful. I began concentrating on a lullaby I'd heard as a kid, imaging the glowing gray light spewing into her brain and filling her senses. It didn't help. In fact, it did the opposite, as she began shrieking and her eyes seemed to come back to reality. She glanced quickly around us before falling limp; the new girl, Echo, had gone unconscious.

Immediately I was standing up, spinning angrily around to glare at Luke, who was watching the situation with a calm look on his face. "What did you do!" I screamed, feeling my eyes glow a light blue as I tried to send every depressing song I had at him. Luke didn't even flinch.

"I didn't do anything to her, Mia. Obviously, the girl is incredibly shy. Her body must have gotten stressed due to all the people and she broke down. Carson has told me things about her past that also may add to this. She doesn't trust anyone, and we made her nervous."

I glared at Luke. For some reason, I felt an urge to protect this new girl. That was strange, because normally I was a bit cruel towards newbies; they were so egotistical and foolish. But I could relate to Echo. I had acted the same way when I arrived. Nervous, scared; yet bold.

"I don't believe you," I snapped at the director, ignoring the surprised looks of everyone around us. Luke was the most powerful one of us; his ability to completely take control of people made him feared and unapproachable. I was one of the only people to talk back to him, but the other students were always surprised when I did.

"You don't have to, Mia," Luke told me calmly. With that, my anger erupted.

 "YES, I DO! YOU TELL US ALL THESE THINGS, NOT CARING WHETHER WE KNOW THEY'RE TRUE OR NOT!! YOU LIE TO US ALL THE TIME, AND STILL SOMETIMES YOU TELL THE TRUTH!! WE HAVE TO HAVE REASONS TO BELIEVE YOU!!"

Luke glared at me. "Enough, Mia. Rhyme, please take your friend back to your dorm. I'll speak to you about this later. Remember, I respect you all, but I do not respect those who don't return it."

I let out a 'hmph' as my black haired friend walked over and grabbed me by the elbow softly, leading me out the door. I didn't argue. I was still upset, but I shouldn't have taken it out on Luke. Nor did I need to take it out on Rhyme.

As we entered the dorm, Rhyme stared at me weirdly. I raised an eyebrow at her. "What is it?" I snapped, feeling annoyed. She stepped back, her face paling. I immediately felt guilty. "Sorry, sorry! Just... not in a good mood. I'm going to... take a nap."

Without waiting for a response, I spun around and jumped onto my bed in a starfish position, instantly shutting my eyes tightly as I concentrated on the noises around me.

Silence.

A light switched.

A door closed.

A/N: I do apologize for the unusually short chapter.

~|Fun Fact: Normally, Mia is cold-hearted towards newcomers because she feels they are are a new threat. Although the blonde acts confident in her strength, she feels her power is not strong enough and therefore is scared of anyone who could overcome it.|~