Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

How could the secret my family worked so hard to hide be common knowledge to someone I didn't even know? That was the fearful question I couldn't seem to find an answer to. After finally breaking down and having a small panic attack, I returned to the table and tried to act as normal as I possibly could. Unfortunately, all my friends could see right through me.

"Ariel, are you alright? You look rather pale," Maggie asked in concern.

No, Maggie. I wasn't alright. Some random stalker was texting me, threatening me with secrets that I couldn't let get out, but I couldn't tell you that because they told me not to. I couldn't tell any of them because they seemed to know so much about me that they shouldn't even know.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired." I lied.

It was the wrong day to be tired. After not mentioning it during our unconventional interview Pamela had failed to mention to us what time she wanted us to be there. Thankfully she'd reached out to us on Facebook and instructed us on when to be there.

"You guys are working today?" Sunny questioned.

"Yep! It's the first day on the job," Maggie explained before sipping her drink.

"Such nerds," Reggie joked.

"Least they got jobs," Liam whined.

"You still haven't gotten a call?" He raised his eyebrows.

"No, and I filled out over thirty applications."

"Sure you're not exaggerating?"

"He's not." Maggie and I said simultaneously.

"We were there," I added.

"Tough break," Reggie chuckled.

"I want to know what takes them so long. Here I am more than willing to work and not a single call."

"It's just been like two days man," Reggie commented.

"Yeah. Not everyone can get a job on the day they apply," I grinned as I high fived Maggie.

"Rub it in," He sighed.

"Oh, we are," Maggie said patting his shoulder.

"I applied to Sephora," Sunny announced.

"I am not working at Sephora," Liam groaned.

"Of course you'd work at a makeup place," Reggie snorted.

"When did you apply?" I questioned in interest.

"Just last week."

"You are perfect for the job if your makeup skills are anything to go by," Maggie said.

"Yeah, she does my makeup all the time," Reggie joked.

"Oh, wow! A new side of Reggie," Liam rolled his eyes.

"You just need to get in touch with your feminine side is all."

"No, thank you. I'm very happy with my masculine side."

After we finished eating we headed to start our new jobs. Liam dropped us off and I had a feeling he was slightly sulking even as he smiled wishing us both good luck and kissing Maggie goodbye. I knew he'd be a great worker and I'd promised him he'd have the perfect job for him he just needed to be patient. I was certain Kaylin had said the same thing as well. Probably my mom too. Liam, though mostly confident in himself, always seemed to want to make sure he was being a man and taking care of everyone. That's why he preferred a masculine side to a feminine side. Ever since his dad left when he was just a child he'd taken it upon himself to take care of his mom as she took care of him. He also took care of me and tried to care for everyone around him. No doubt he was now feeling the pressure to care for Maggie as well. That's just who he was. Having a job was important to him so he could help Kaylin with bills and get nice things for Maggie. Not to mention I knew he hated not being able to help me and Mom out of our home situation. There wasn't much he could do and I could tell in his eyes how much he hated it.