Chapter Eighty-Two

Chapter Eighty-Two

"This tastes amazing!" Reggie explained, shoving a piece of salmon into his mouth like he'd never eaten in his life before.

So far every one of us had complimented the meal and it really did taste wonderful. Just like moms used to and Kaylin was clearly the model student. They were both pleased at how well this turned out but no more than Kaylin. She had something to prove here.

Mom had told me during a phone conversation just the other day her mom taught her how to cook when she was young and after her cancer diagnosis she prepared the meals for both of them. I couldn't imagine having that much responsibility at such a young age as she did. Then to lose both her parents at that young age and the way she did. What was I complaining about when she was doing as well as she could?

I would likely never know any of my grandparents. Even if my grandpa on her side sounded much like Kenneth, I hated I'd never know him. I especially hated that I would never get to meet the grandma Mom loved so much. At least not on the earth. I was sure my grandma was there and maybe grandpa too.

I'd never know for sure until I got there. I wasn't certain about Kenneth's parents as he rarely talked of them but I knew they were also no longer alive. Whether that contributed to his anger or not I'd never know. Whatever all his issues had been he'd dealt with them in the wrong way and it was his own family who suffered as a result.

I snuck a peek at Zayn who not so subtly had seated himself as far away from me, Liam and Reggie as he possibly could. He'd complimented the food but other than that said nothing. Though mostly trying to ignore him, I caught sight of Liam glaring back at him occasionally as he glared at him.

Clearly, these two weren't going to bother completely listening to me or putting their differences aside but at least they were making an effort to coexist right now. It was a weird family dinner we were having here. Apparently, Liam was a little jealous seeing Mom and Kaylin dote on Zayn which I understood but he needed to understand why they did so.

They loved Zayn and they loved Evelyn so of course, they tried to make up for lost time and take care of him as much as they could. Liam much like me had always thought we were the only ones who had them in our lives consistently. If I thought too much into it I wouldn't like my mom and godmother showing someone else attention.

I knew Zayn needed it and I wished Liam could understand it. If mom and Kaylin heard the argument, and I knew they did then they didn't act like they heard anything. Perhaps that was why dinner was so awkward. Or was that just me?

"I'm glad you like it," Kaylin beamed, still not over the happiness of being complimented.

I supposed that happened when your ex-husband insulted you all the time. Oh well, she and Liam were better off without them. I just hoped they really were.

"It's delicious," Sunny offered.

"Well, thank Luci and her family recipe! She's a great teacher." Kaylin grinned at her best friend.

"My mother was an excellent teacher; taught me everything she knew." Mom smiled.

I loved how mom was slowly but surely getting more open about her past and her parents. At least her mom and I really wish I'd had the chance to meet her more than ever. Not everyone had parents they could be close to. Kaylin had shared her own parents were strict and thought she was a problem child growing up. Once she's gotten pregnant they were done with her. They'd moved away and she hadn't seen them since.

I hated this happened to her and then Liam's dad left not long after. Too many people in their lives left them and I wished it wasn't true. I smiled a little knowing Liam would never do that to her and his jealousy just proved that. I hope he'd remain that way with Maggie for as long as they were together and I was hoping that was forever.