Chapter Eighty-Five

Chapter Eighty-Five

Why had I said yes? A lot of reasons though in the beginning, I hadn't intended on saying yes. I'd planned on giving an excuse or saying we'd hang out soon but I hadn't intended on saying yes now or maybe ever. Yet that's exactly what I did and I had theories.

For once maybe I wanted to have a normal life and hang out with a guy like most girls did. Maybe I wanted to get back at Zayn for what he'd done and maybe Miles. Or maybe I was trying to numb the pain of recent events. Or maybe I was trying it see where things with George would go in the future.

I was not the type of person who needed to get her hopes up like that. My fresh start did not need to include depending on a guy to make me happy or give me a sense of self. I wasn't sure what I wanted.

"Wow really?" He smiled and I couldn't disappoint him.

"Yeah sure."

"Cool anything you'd like to do?"

"I have no preference."

"How about dinner?"

"Dinner?"

I caught sight of Liam and Maggie's eyebrows both raising in surprise.

"Just as friends. Dinner as friends. People do that you know."

"Of course," I laughed.

"Alright, how about this weekend."

"Sounds great."

"See you then."

He nodded at Liam and Maggie as he walked away. They walked over to me and we were all silent for a few seconds. One of us would have to break the silence and this time it was Liam who did.

"So dinner?"

"As friends," I added.

"Yeah sure. That's what they all say."

"Really he'd been asking about hanging out and I didn't want to keep saying no".

"Why not?"

"He's nice."

"And you're too nice."

"I know."

"It could be a good thing," Maggie reasoned.

"Gummy bear I really don't mind you having a boyfriend. It's just all the guys you tend to choose are way wrong for you".

"He's not going to be a boyfriend. No one even said the word boyfriend."

"She just hasn't met Mr. Right yet maybe?" Maggie sighed.

"Maybe not."

"You can start looking for him whenever you're ready. Just don't look in the wrong places," Liam advised.

"Let's get inside," I groaned.

We trudged inside as I thought about how weird Mr. Right sounded. I was starting to think such a thing didn't exist at all. Just a myth to get people to get married. If that were the case no wonder the divorce rate was so high. Of course, that didn't work for mom.

Lita was just inside the school doors and at first, I couldn't tell who she was talking to. It was Miles. They were talking intently although it looked relaxed. No one was upset or anything. Maybe they were getting back together? That would be a good thing though my heart ached thinking of it.

Miles turned to give me a nod and smile which I returned and Lita a glare. I guess some things never changed after all. At least she was consistent. This was more than I could say for most people.