Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

The bell rang, signaling the end of fourth period and I stood, following Liam and Maggie down the bleachers. The thought of asking everyone about the triple date had me excited to leave school as soon as possible. However, as we escaped through the gym doors somebody called out to me.

"Hey, Red, wait up!" Adam called. I turned as he jogged up to us, a grin playing on his lips.

"What is it, Adam?" I asked skeptically.

"I wanted to see if you were okay. George did a number on you the other day."

"How'd you see it?" I asked, trying to remember his face in the crowd gathered around George and me.

"Pictures on Instagram," he replied nonchalantly.

"Someone put pictures of me falling on Instagram?"

"And your bloody knees. I think you two were in them as well." He turned to Liam and Maggie.

"Adam, would you get lost," Liam spat.

"No, because I have something else to ask you about."

"What would that be?" I questioned.

"Well—"

"Why don't you go wait for your girlfriend?" Liam interrupted.

"She's talking right now and probably will be for a while."

"What do you want to know?" I asked again.

"Somethings going on between Zayn and Miles and I think it involves you." He said, meeting my eyes.

I stared at him; my mouth parted. Adam had heard Miles and Zayn talking? Dread filled my stomach at the thought of what he could have heard. I knew what it possibly was, but I was praying it wasn't that. Adam couldn't know about that!

"What does that have to do with her?" Liam demanded.

"I don't know yet. I just know they've been acting differently since they had a conversation and I believe I heard your name being mentioned."

"Sure, you didn't mishear them?" Maggie frowned.

"No, I heard the name Ariel for sure."

So, he hadn't heard anything then? Relief washed through me and I relaxed. Okay, this was good. He'd heard them but didn't know what it was about. For all Adam knew, they were talking about the project Zayn and I shared. Though, why would Miles and he be discussing that in the first place, and why would it affect the way they acted? Adam wasn't that gullible.

"Different Ariel?" Maggie tried.

He shook his head. "Only Ariel any of us know."

"So, what did they supposedly say about her?" Liam said, teaching me that he wasn't afraid to ask the hard and uncomfortable questions.

"Don't know. Couldn't hear them. They clearly didn't want me to know and they didn't exactly want their girlfriends to know either. Figured you might know."

"I don't know." I lied, shaking my head, and shrugging my shoulders.

He studied me for a long moment, his eyes narrowing slightly as if he knew I was lying. I bit my lip, ready to open my mouth with another attempt to lie, but then he sighed. "How boring."

"Adam, why are you talking to these losers?" Emma questioned, coming to stand beside him while shooting us a glare.

"Just doing a little research is all," he shrugged.