54|as long as it takes

The start of the seasons always feels so slow and difficult to write. Sorry if it feels like it's exactly from the show, just hard to drift away from the main storyline at the moment.

----------

School had ended and I was now sitting in my room waiting to be picked up. We had spoken after the Sheriff had left about what he had come to the school for. Scott had listened in, but I hadn't. I couldn't focus at that moment, the thought of Stiles being in trouble had clouded my ability to think straight.

I needed to find a way to focus, or I might as well not have my abilities.

Stiles had told us that Heather, the girl whose birthday it was and who had tried to do Stiles in a wine cellar, had gone missing. The reason why Sheriff Stilinski had wanted to talk to Stiles was because he had supposedly been the last one to see her alive.

Meaning, either no one really saw me go into the cellar, or I was yet to receive questioning. Right now it didn't matter. What mattered was finding out what the hell was going on this time. Scott had decided that the only clue we had to solve the mystery was locked in Isaac's brain and we needed to find a way to shake it loose.

While we knew a werewolf was unable to help from what we had heard about their attempts to retrieve his memories, we turned to the only other person we knew who we though may even stand a chance. Doctor Deaton, apparently just a veterinarian, but I'd like to vote otherwise.

I wasn't completely sold on trusting him considering he was yet to explain how he knew about werewolves, kanimas and the rest of it, but he was all we had. So that's why when Stiles picked me up in his Jeep, we headed straight to the veterinary clinic.

I could tell he was thinking hard as I got into the Jeep, the boy sitting there looking at me closely.

"Stiles, just say what you want to say so that we can go, please," I stated tiredly as I buckled myself in.

He pursed his lips as he nodded, starting up the engine. "I don't expect you to apologise," he told me.

"Well, that's good. Because I wont be."

Stiles glanced over at me for a moment, before turning back to the road. "How I treated you was unfair, and I'm sorry. I should've taken everything that happened into consideration. I should've understood."

"It's okay, Stiles," I half smiled. "I know you were only looking out for me."
And I did. That was all I felt like he did when it came to me. He was always worrying himself sick about me, thinking that I was unable to look after myself.

But, like I said, things were different now. I could take care of myself and I knew it. I didn't have to rely on Stiles or Scott or any of the werewolves. I had my abilities and for now, that was enough. It had to be.

"So, then where does that leave us?" Stiles asked me. I couldn't decided whether he sounded more worried or hopeful.

Either way I knew there was no chance of getting back to where I wanted to be with him by starting on a lie.
"I don't know, Stiles."
And it was true. There was how he acted when I returned, selfish and impulsive, but then there was the boy who turned someone down for me.

I had to find the version of Stiles that wouldn't leave me a tattered mess of emotions. I needed the Stiles who strengthened me and gave me the courage to take on any bad thing that came our way.

He removed a hand from the steering wheel and placed it on one of mine. "I'll wait as long as it takes. I'd wait for you forever."

My heart melted a bit at the sentiment as my cheeks burned. I was thankful for the shade of night keeping their scarlet glow hidden.