91|life and death

0

This is officially, the final chapter of 'Chaos Theory'.

Thank you to everyone who stuck with this story. I know it's been an extremely long ride, with a total of 91 chapters.

I couldn't be more thankful for all of you, and I truly hope you enjoyed Riley's journey so far as much as I did.

So, without further ado, enjoy this somewhat extended final chapter.

Question of the Chapter: if I wrote it, would you guys want a sequel that finishes the series?

xo

----------

The Oni appeared out of nowhere like they always do, one attacking Kira with its sword. The four of them circled us, slowly stepping inward.

"What the hell is this? Where are we?" Scott asked.

"Between life and death."

Lydia answered straight away, reminding us of what Kira had talked to us about when we first met her. "Bardo."

"But there are no peaceful deities here, Lydia. You're dying, Stiles. And now everyone you care about is dying, too."
The Nogitsune stepped closer. His face was covered in bandages, but I knew he was watching us.

"What? What do you mean?" Stiles stammered.

"I've captured almost all of the territories on the board, Stiles. The hospital. The Sheriff's station. And now the animal clinic."

"This isn't a game," I said, keeping near Stiles.

The Nogitsune laughed darkly, "Oh, but it is. And you're about to lose."
He focused back on the boy beside me, "Do you know what the ritual of seppuku is, Stiles?"

"No, and I don't want to," he replied in a flat tone. I squeezed his hand, reminding him I was right there.

"When a samurai disembowels himself with his own sword to maintain his honour, but that's not the cut that kills him. The killing stroke is made by his kaishakunin, who beheads the samurai with his own katana. Scott. . . Scott is your kaishakunin."

My stomach sunk as his bandaged finger pointed in my direction. I stepped closer to Stiles protectively.

"I'm going to make your best friend kill you, Stiles," the Nogitsune sneered. "And you're going to let him. Because just like you, they're all going to die. Everyone touched by an Oni's blade, including your father and the girl you love. Unless Scott kills you first."

Stiles looked down at me in question, but I couldn't meet his gaze. I couldn't let him think that I was okay with him even considering sacrificing himself for me.

His grip around my hand tightened as he spoke to the creature before us. "Why? Why are you doing this?"

"To win the game," it answered simply.

Every Oni sprung to action, attacking us all. We didn't hesitate to fight back. Kira with her sword, Scott with his claws, and me with my abilities.

We did our best to hold them off, but their advances were strong. But something wasn't adding up; like how we had walked through the school doors and ended up in a place that was snowing.

"How is this happening? How are we in this place?" Scott asked us as he fought.

"Hell, if I know," I shouted over the noise. "Kira?"