sixteen

[sixteen: Trust me]

[sixteen: Trust me]

The four children looked down at the banks of the river which was breaking into large chunks of ice that were floating away on the fast current of the river. A frozen waterfall loomed on their left and Peter hastily assessed the situation and, whilst holding Lucy's hand, he started to make his way down the melting bank towards the other side but Susan grabbed his arm in immediate protest.

"We need to cross, now!" Peter demanded as another chunk of ice in the river floated off down the fast current and Susan just scoffed at him whilst Lucy and Genevieve tried to think of a safer way to get across without the fear of drowning.

"Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy asked innocently as she looked at everyone with wide eyes as she looked at the harsh current of the mirror.

"I'm not that fast, dear." Mr. Beaver said and Lucy looked sad for a second, wishing that her idea could have helped in any way - but it didn't. Genevieve took her hand and gave it a squeeze as they watched the oldest Pevensie children argue back and forth and Genevieve wanted to roll her eyes - thank god she didn't have siblings.

"Come on!" Peter urged.

"Wait! Will you just think about this for a minute?" Susan shouted and Peter scoffed as he looked at her, then at the group and then back at the river with a scowl on his features.

"We don't have a minute."

"I'm just trying to be realistic."

"No, you're trying to be smart. As usual." Peter retorted as he and Susan glared at each other and Genevieve sighed deeply as she stepped between them with anger clear in her eyes.

"Stop this, both of you. I don't know what other troubles you have going on but we need to find a way to get over this river now and I will not stand around whilst you two bicker. Now come on." Genevieve said and both went silent as they looked at the younger girl towards them. Peter and Genevieve start climbing down the banks of the river and Susan sighs and looks like she might stay but then she heard a deep set of howls in the distance and she shuddered. The deafening howling of the wolves in the distance changes her mind and she goes to follow them down the bank. At the bottom of the river bank, Peter puts a foot on the ice and water spurts up from under it and hits Lucy slightly causing her to shudder as she moves closer to Genevieve to gain more warmth.

"Lucy, take my coat." Genevieve says as she removes her coat and wraps it round the small girls frame, leaving herself in her hat, gloves scarfs and her summer attire of a grey skirt, blouse and a black cardigan. To say she was freezing was an understatement, but she didn't let Lucy know that.

"Wait. Maybe I should go first." Mr. Beaver said as he assessed the situation and the four children murmured in agreement.

"Maybe you should."