sixteen

[sixteen: I'm going to die here aren't I?]

Caspian sits outside Aslan's How with a sad look on his fallen face, a singular tear trickling down his cheek as he gazed forward - the unwinding guilt surfacing in his stomach as he thought of all the men he left to die, especially the Selfless Queen he had come so close to. He didn't move when Doctor Cornelius joins him but only continues to stare ahead in silence until he releases a sigh.

"Why did you never tell me about my father?" Caspian asks the question he dreaded the most, the simple question holding so much emotion that for a moment Cornelius didn't know how to answer as he turned to look at the Prince with a sad expression on his features.

"My mother was a black dwarf from the northern mountains. I risked my life all these years so that one day you might be a better king than those before you." Cornelius stated and Caspian just shook his head as a sad sigh escaped from his lips.

"Then I have failed you."

"Everything I told you, everything I didn't..." Cornelius started as he pondered the words in his head as he looked Caspian in the eye. "It was only because I believe in you. You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history: The Telmarine who saved Narnia."

+++

The fire dances around a torch, illuminating the room as all the shadows tormented the souls within - their inner demons surfacing to tell them their deepest fears that were reliving again. Peter sits in front of the cracked Stone Table and looks at the carving of Aslan upon the wall with sad but wondrous eyes until Lucy walks up and sits beside him.

"You're lucky, you know." Peter whispered to her, causing her to look upon his face with confusion plastered across it.

"What do you mean?"

"To have seen him." Peter whispered as he pulls his hands over his face with a sigh. "I wish he'd just give me some kind of proof."

"Maybe we're the ones who need to prove ourselves to him." Lucy whispered as she took her brothers hand with a smile. He was about to speak again when Edmund quickly ran into the room, eyes wide as he looked at his brother.

"Pete, you'd better come quickly."

They all follow Edmund outside, the site quite unpleasant to the eyes and soul as they see the Telmarine army approaching with Miraz, in full armor, riding to the front. Edmund's eyes specifically travel to a carriage being pulled by two white stallions and their knights - the carriage itself hidden behind iron bars that made it impossible for anything to get in and out. Hesitantly, Edmund pulled out a telescope and  lined up the angle to the carriage as a relieved sigh left his lips.

"She's alive." He whispers as he meets Peter's gaze and nods.

+++