seventeen

[seventeen: Strike me]

Upon the riverbank where the four children were previously stood, Edmund, the Witch and the dwarf Ginarrbrik stood sentinel looking down at the fast moving river and its now uniced current. The world had become seemingly warmer, so warm that Edmund felt a sense of relief that he didn't bring his coat because it was so warm that he was debating removing his jumper but decided against it as he didn't want to anger the Witch. He turns his gaze to watch the intimidating dwarf Ginarrbrik start to shrug off his furs and Edmund looks from him to the Witch in fascination. Why would she allow this?

"It's so warm out." Ginarrbrik sighs and the Witch gives him cold look causing Edmund to smirk slightly at Ginarrbrik's frightened expression. "I'll go and check the sleigh."

The sound of rustling can be heard in the near distance and Edmund turns his attention as the daunting wolves approach, one of them carrying the fox in its mouth and another holding Genevieve hostage. Edmund lets out an audible gasp as he looks at her, her hair tangled all over the place as her face bleeds - a visibly scratch on her face likely from the wolves. She also appears to be drenched in water, as if she had been swimming only a mere hour or so ago.

"Genevieve?" Edmund asked, his voice drenched in concern as he went to take a step closer to the girl only for Maugrim to let out a low growl and Edmund stayed put and looked down.

"Quiet Son of Adam, what news Maugrim?"

"Your Majesty. We found the traitor. He was rallying your enemies near the Shuddering Woods and the Daughter of Eve we caught at the river. " Maugrim informed his Queen who took a slight glance at the struggling Genevieve before sending a glare to the fox.

"Ah. Nice of you to drop in. You were so helpful to my wolves last night. Perhaps you can help me now. " The Witch taunted towards the fox who whimpered slightly as the Wolf detaining him bit down harshly in order to ensure he replied.

"Forgive me, Your Majesty." He whispered as he directed his gaze to the ground at the thought of failing in front of a monarch he respected.

"Oh, don't waste my time with flattery." The Witched snarled as she looked at the fox, not wanting to be manipulated with unwanted flattery.

"Not to seem rude, but I wasn't actually talking to you." The Fox stated before his eyes flickered to Edmund, whose eyes widened whilst Genevieve smirked before letting out a small snicker.

"Good one Foxy!" She murmured before meeting the eyes of the fox who gave her a solemn nod in recognition. The Witch stares with a glare. She looks first to Edmund and then at the Fox then glares at Genevieve before deciding to walk up to fox, twirling her wand before she points it at him.

"Where is are the humans headed?" The Fox refuses to answer and the Witch moves her arm back, about to use her wand when Edmund runs in front of her, shocking both Genevieve and the Fox who stare with wide eyes.