twenty-three

[twenty-three: It's never too late to follow your heart dear]

Genevieve Potter was crushed.

The prolonging voice in the back of her mind that told her she would be okay and that the wedding could still be stopped had now vanished, the girl accepting her fate as the future Mrs. Jonathan Pole.

She wished she could say that she was okay, but she couldn't say a word as she plastered a smile on her face as she awoke from her slumber to prepare for the big day she had been dreading for so long. Behind the masked smile she wore on her face, there is sadness and shock. She anxiously looks at her left and right, repeatedly as a single sound passes by, checking for signs of anything that could aid her to stop the wedding that couldn't be put down as wedding jitters but she found nothing of the sort and that frightened her. Jill saw this especially. She could not blame Genevieve for being unreasonably afraid. She could see how terrified she will be as the happy memories of Narnia will come back and play on her mind over and over again like a broken record that would only repeat.

Yet Jill didn't say a word.

She had to stick to the plan for if she didn't then anything could happen, the wedding could commence and they would fail.

She couldn't let that happen.

If Genevieve thought the days leading up to the wedding were chaotic, there was absolutely nothing that could prepare her for the actual morning of the wedding. Every single person was running all over the place, making her feel dizzy as she tried to focus on one thing at once but failing to do so. Agatha was stressing whilst the seamstress seemed to talk a millions words a minute to Genevieve to the point where she had no idea what they were talking about anymore.

Genevieve needed to find a quiet retreat to calm herself, but in all this chaos she feared she wouldn't be able to. In the end she found and empty room and sat herself down on one of the chairs staring aimlessly out the window. She didn't like this at all. When Genevieve finally felt calm enough to venture out of the room, it took mere seconds for someone to discover that she had been hiding in the first place. Luckily it was Michael Pole, a man who didn't like the idea of the betrothal in the first place but after all this time had to stick by it for his wife and child's sake. He was one of the few calm people who made her feel at ease at the moment.

"Hiding dear?" He asked and she sent him a small smile.

"Just for a moment so I could remember how to breath." Genevieve replied and Michael smiled as he sat beside her and followed her gaze out the window.

"That's understandable. Weddings no matter how big or how small can be overwhelming until the actual ceremony begins. Then in that moment, all the chaos no longer matters." Michael states as he turns to her. "Do you know why?"

Genevieve shook her head as she looked to her shaking fingers and the man sighed.

"Because you're standing before the person you're about to dedicate to spend the rest of your life with and nothing else matters in that moment except that person." He stated and Genevieve stifled a sob as a solitary tear fell down her cheek. "You have to make a decision."