twenty-four

[twenty-four: Long live]

The four Pevensies walked up the marble aisle, where all the Centaur stood to attention under the orders of the Potter girl, who held an appeasing smile on her face. They paused looking at their four thrones which each have a significant carving on it, representing a part of Narnia that they held deeply to their hearts. Then they walked up the marble steps and stood in front of their appropriate throne, each smiling at the thought of what was suppose to happen next. Aslan stepped forward, a prideful aura surrounding him as he looked at the four King's and Queen's and then at the Potter girl who was standing not so far away, a tear in her eye as she looked upon her friends getting something they truly deserved.

"To the glistening Eastern Sea, I give you Queen Lucy the Valiant." Aslan announced solemnly as Mr. Tumnus approached, dressed in a nice green scarf, along with the Beavers who beared the crowns. Mr. Tumnus stepped forward as he crowned each of the four Pevensie children with a smile on his face as Aslan spoke.

"To the great Western Wood, King Edmund the Just. To the radiant Southern Sun,Queen Susan, the Gentle. And to the clear Northern Sky, I give you King Peter, the Magnificent. Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen. May your wisdom grace us until the stars rain down from the heavens." Aslan declared and everyone in the hall started to cheer and chant at the Four monarchs, who smiled brightly at their people.

"Long live King Peter! Long live King Edmund! Long live Queen Susan! Long live Queen Lucy!" The people began to chant and the Pevensie children looked around with smiles on their faces as they looked into the crowd. Edmund's eyes scanned the crowd before his eyes fell to the Potter girl who smiled happily, their eyes met briefly and Genevieve raised her hands slightly before clapping at the boy who sent her a small smile in return.

"And from the Narnian soils from the lamppost to Cair Paravel I give you Sir Genevieve, High Knight of Narnia." Aslan announced as he ushered Genevieve forward as he placed his paw on her shoulder before lifting it again. Genevieve arose as she looked around at the smiling faces before raising her sword in the air, with a smile.

"For Narnia!" She screamed happily and a cheer escalated through the crowd as many raised their swords in retaliation to her.

"For Narnia."

+++

As the day turned to the afternoon and the afternoon turned to night, a ball seemed to begin as the sun began to set beyond the horizon. Whilst most Narnians seemed to be enjoying themselves at the ball, a lone silhouette was seen walking on the beach in the sunset. The silhouette was one of a lion, whose head bowed as he walked across the sands with a prideful aura radiating off of him. Lucy runs out onto the balcony and sees him walking away and lets out a small frown as she looked at him go.

"Don't worry. We'll see him again." Lucy heard a voice say and she jumped slightly before turning around and greeting the face of her dear friend Mr. Tumnus who offered her a small smile.

"When?" She asked patiently as she watched his silhouette walk further and further down the sand.

"In time. One day he'll be here and the next he won't. But you mustn't press him. After all, he's not a tame lion." Mr. Tumnus said and Lucy smiled before nodding and letting a small tear fall from her left eye.

"No. But he is good." Lucy whispered and she sniffled before Mr. Tumnus pulled a hankie out from under his scarf and handed it to the crying girl.

"Here. You need it more than I do." He repeated Lucy's words and she takes it and sees that Aslan has disappeared. She looks at Tumnus in surprise and he nods and takes her hand. She looks out to sea and begins to cry softly once again.

+++

As the ball continued to commence, the youngest King found himself growing bored of all the dancing and singing and laughter that filled the hall. Whilst he was happy to be king, he still wasn't happy with the idea of huge social gatherings - even if they are centered around him. Edmund found that despite the knighthood earlier in the day, he still hadn't been able to catch Genevieve and congratulate her and to actually speak to her about what happened. She was the bravest and most selfless person Edmund had ever met and he valued her for that and wanted her to know how much he appreciated her and her doings to him family. He suddenly spotted her on a balcony outside and he maneuvered his way through the crowd until he got to the balcony, the cold night air hitting his face as she shivered slightly and made his way to the edge of the balcony, placing his arms on the railings before turning his head to look at the girl.

"How come you're not enjoying the ball?" He asked her and she turned her head to smile at him before turning back to look at the view of the beach with a wondrous look in her eyes.

"The ball scene isn't really my thing. All the dancing and socialising is just not my style. I'd much rather be in a library." Genevieve admitted and Edmund chuckled slightly before turning his body towards her, keeping his right arm on the railings.

"I'm the same. Would you like ditch the ball to explore the gardens with me?" Edmund asked her and she turned and smiled at him as she nodded her head towards him.

"I'd love too, your majesty." Genevieve teased and Edmund rolled his eyes as she took his hand and led him to the gardens.

So they walked through the gardens, feeling as if they hadn't just saved the world. They walked as if they were best friends, not a King or a Knight who had almost died on the battlefield in a magical land. They were no longer a boy from Finchley and a girl from London.

They were a broken boy and a broken girl, who had happened to find each other.

End of Part One