thirteen

[thirteen: I love you]

Up top, Edmund accidentally drops his electric torch and he watches as it falls onto a lower tower. A soldier quickly picks it up, and accidentally turns it on. The light beam shines high into the sky. Outside, Nikabrik and the army watch the light in curiosity.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Nikabrik asks Glenstorm from behind the castle walls.

Edmund jumps down onto the soldier. Bells sound, and  the Telmarine soldiers start waking up as Peter, Susan, and Caspian run through the halls to safety but Peter runs down a different hall.

"Peter!" Susan shouts for her brother only foe him to continue running without turning.

"Our army is just outside!" He screams and Susan and Caspian run after Peter. He runs through the courtyard and kills two Telmarine soldiers.

"Now, Ed, now! Signal the troops!" He shouts to the top and Edmund hears but up top Edmund was struggling with a soldier.

"I'm a little busy right now, Pete!" He admits and Edmund, whilst distracted, drops his sword. So he uses his electric torch to hit the soldier, and knocks him down. He tries to turn it on, but finds it broken and sighs frustrated. Below, Peter tries to open the gate.

"Peter, it's too late! We have to call it off while we still can!" Susan screams and Peter shakes his head.

"No, I can still do this! Help me!" Susan and Caspian help Peter turn the wheel to open the gate.

"Just who exactly are you doing this for, Peter?" Susan screams only for Peter to completely ignore her.

They continue turning the wheel. Up top, Edmund keeps shaking his torch, trying to get it to work. Inside,Trumpkin and the mice turn the wheel to lower the drawbridge, Genevieve suddenly feels a sense of worry as her rings begin to change from gold to lilac - signalling that Edmund was in trouble or soon to be in trouble.

"I need to go!" Genevieve whispered as she stood up from where the wheel was, Trumpkin looking at her with wide eyes.

"Where are you going?" He asked her worriedly as he continued to turn the wheel.

"Edmund needs me and even if we're not on speaking terms I'm not letting him go without him knowing the rest of the truth." She shouts as she runs off in the direction of the tower, leaving Trumpkin and the mice do turn the wheel.

Outside, Glenstorm and the army grow restless of waiting for their moment to attack. Finally, the torch turns on, and Edmund flashes it. Glenstorm shouts and the Narnians charge into the castle. Asterius specifically being of use as he uses his horns to smash through the first gate. The Narnians charge past Peter, Susan, and Caspian and they draw their weapons, and run to join the battle.

"For Narnia!" Peter screams and the Narnians charge through the courtyard, and start fighting the Telmarine soldiers as ordered by Peter.

Up top, a Telmarine with a crossbow aims at Peter but Edmund slides down and knocks the soldier over which gained Peter's ultimate attention as Peter looks up.

"Ed!" He shouts and Edmund looks to his left and sees the other Telmarines with crossbows. He dives into a room and kicks the door shut just in time as the arrows hit the door.

Among the battle, Peter and Tyrus start fighting their way up to Miraz' balcony. Tyrus jumps and raises his weapon in anger but Glozelle shoots him in the shoulder. Miraz slowly walks over to Tyrus... and then pushes him. Peter watches mortified as the satyr tumbles down and hits the ground hard.

"Get that gate closed!" Miraz orders as the gate starts closing on the Narnians and Asterius is the first to notice as he runs over and holds the gate open.

"Fall back! Retreat!" Peter screams and Peter himself runs around telling all the Narnians to retreat, among them Glenstorm swings Susan onto his back on the way out.

"Caspian!" Susan shouts to Peter, worry clear in her mind as she thinks of the poor boy who could be lost anywhere.

"I'll find him!" Peter assures her as Glenstorm continues to ride forward, leaving Susan to worry about her brothers.

Finally Edmund walks onto the tower where he first landed, and uses his torch to lock the door. He looks over the edge, but the griffin is nowhere in sight. The soldiers on the other side bang against the door and begin to weaken the hinges before someone climes up from underneath - Edmund seeing a hand and recognising the rings on her fingers.

"What are you doing? Are you mad?" Edmund asked her as he pulled her up onto the tower, their argument from before being forgotten in a heartbeat.

"You needed help! What else was I supposed to do? Let you die?" Genevieve  asked as she looked at Edmund who only sighed towards her as he looked for the griffin again.

"Better me than you." He shouts as he watches a smile emerge on Genevieve's face.

Below Caspian and Cornelius emerge, with Caspian holding the reigns of an extra horse. Peter kicks a soldier and  jumps onto the horse as he and Caspian attempt to ride to safety.Up top, Edmund's torch breaks and the door squeals as Genevieve turns to her husband before removing all her rings and placing them in his hands.

"What are you doing?"Edmund asks her as he takes the rings from her, watching her armor disappeared from her body as she is just left in the clothes she was wearing before the balcony.

"Do you trust me?" She asked him and Edmund looked at her as if she had grown two heads as he nodded.

"Of course I do. What kind of question is -" Edmund begins before Genevieve pulls him into a kiss.

The kiss was everything the two needed in that moment, the world obliterating before them as they only cared about each other in that brief moment. Edmund then began to realise the subtle signs as he felt her start to cry during the kiss, the passion endured within as if it were the last kiss the two would ever share which in Genevieve's mind she believed it was was. Suddenly the soldier's burst through the door with drawn swords and Genevieve pulled away from Edmund with a sad smile.

"I love you," She whispered before she pushed quickly Edmund off the tower. The soldiers looked over the edge as a griffin flies up with Edmund riding it. Edmund watches horrified as the soldiers capture Genevieve who struggles in their grasp as she looks at her husband one last time.

"Genevieve!" He shouts as the soldiers drag her away, her rings placed in his palms as he let a tear fall from his eye. "No."

Peter barley makes it out before Asterius collapses and thegate shuts, knowing that many Narnians were still trapped inside. Peterand Reepicheep were among the last to exit. Peter looks back inhorror as Glenstorm nods to one of his sons. The draw-bridgestarts going up. Holding back tears, Peter looks back atthe Narnians and hesitates. Then he rides away before looking up to see Edmund sobbing with a familiar pair of rings in his hand and Peter gasps. On the griffin, Edmund flies over the castle and surveysthe carnage. 

"It's all my fault!" Peter whispers as he continues to ride forward with his fallen army behind him but only one thing sprung to mind.

What was he going to tell Ron?